Using keitai to connect to internet

I knew someone who used to do it and it was frighteningly slow, but that was about 4 years ago. Dunno if it has improved, but accessing the net on a keitai isn't all that fast, so I can't imagine it would be particularly good.

Thanks.

I'm asking actually not for using the web on a keitai but an attached device to the keitai which actually has a bigger screen etc. I realise that the speed will be determined by the keitai connection......

anyone else?

Not quite a keitai but Air-H is a great way to connect when on the road in Japan. It uses the PHS data packet network and speeds are usually around 60k for me - even in the countryside. It's even fast enough to broadcast video from a moving car.

I often use it in my car when traveling - my computer will beep if I am waiting for an important email. There are USB and PC card models. I pay about 4,500/month for 25 hours of use.

If you are only in Tokyo, its possible to steal a wireless signal in so many places that you probably don't need a dedictaed wireless connection.

There is a bit of info in English here:

http://www.willcom-inc.com/en/service/data/index.html

They took over the PHS 'handyphone' network that was one of the original mobile voice systems in Japan. PHS is basically ISDN lines connected together with wireless base stations and covers most of Japan. It is not popular as a voice option these days and is now used primarily for data - although PHS phones are still available and I think they are cheaper than most DoCoMo or AU offerings.

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinyDiscoBall:
Get one of the packet packs from Docomo and you can connect up that way. Not cheap though if you are going to use more than a bit.
I think Air-H is a lot cheaper than the DoCoMo packet version - at least it was when I compared them about 2 years ago...

I don't think you can do that but they (maybe not the companies themselves) want to make it so you can.

I use docomo and connect using their packet thing. Not cheap but I only use it from time to time when I am away - and you can use the packet costs for normal phone calls as well so there is no waste.

In Akihabara and possibly in some of the other discount areas like Minami Shinjuku, many of the street keitai venders will give you a 0 yen deal on the computer hardware (USB or PC card) for the Air-H system if you sign up with them for a one year contract - saves about 10,000 yen...

I'm really interested in this. I'd love to be able to get online without being ripped off.

fjef, can you help? I looked over that willcom site and still have a few questions. If I sign up for one of their plans, and buy one of their card things and stick it in my PC.... is that all I need to do? At that stage can I use that to get "online" and browse the web and use mail etc?

On the Japanese site there was mention of "providers" and stuff and I got lost there.

Also what the friggin' hell does 2x packets mean in the real world? Is it amazingly slow or liveable with? Is 4x needed or just icing on the cake kind of thing? I don't need anything fancy -- just to be online on the road.

Thanks for any help.

You will also need to have an ISP (internet Service Provider) like ATT Spinnet (not all ISPs support Air-H connections). So there is an additional monthly charge (usually about 2,000/month for basic internet access. The Wilcom charges are only for the data transfer between your provider and your computer.

I think all of the cards available now are at least 4X. Mine is 4X and works well most of the time for web access and email depending on where I am. I was able to check email once at a restaurant half way up Happo. Being able to do that allowed me an extra day of skiing instead of spending the day in the office.

Thanks.

Oh. \:\(

Their website it totally bloody useless. They don't even tell you how and where to sign up. It's as if they are not interested in the business. Tons of people need to know the basics without getting into techtalk and simple things like, er, how to get started. confused.gif

OK so I need an ISP. Any more info and links to point me in the right direction there? (Don't suppose I can use my home OCN thingie....)

http://www.ocn.ne.jp/accesspoint/air_h/

Looks like if you are already signed up to any of these, it doesn't cost anything extra on the provider side:

OCN ダイヤルアクセス

OCN モバイルアクセス

OCN ADSL セット

OCN ADSL「フレッツ」

OCN 光「Bフレッツ」/「フレッツ・光プレミアム」

OCN 光 with フレッツ

OCN 光(A)

CoDen 光サービス

I think.

Just want to say thanks fjef for letting me know about this. Looks like a great service and much cheaper than anything docomo can offer.

I have actually signed up and from tomorrow a lot of my on the road problems will be solved.

Cheers!