OK so tomorrow afternoon I go out with friends, then a big party on NYE that will finish around 5am probably. There will be a LOT of drink consumed. Stupid maybe, but I just know it'll happen ;\) Won't just be my belly that will be jelly.

So...... anyone have any good tips on preparing for a huge night? Does milk work for you? Hmmm. Any top tips to share?

Quote:
Originally posted by white-void:
When you get back if you are not too drunk remember to drink gallons of water and take 2 aspirin or similar. Seems to work for me.
Yeah absolutely. Also, make sure you've sobered up by the time you actually go to sleep. Nothing worse than going to bed drunk and waking up drunk.

I used to do this at college - just not sleep, wear off the alcohol with some partying and just go into the next day chilled out maybe with some drinking water in there as well.

Recently I seem to get hangovers easier than I used to though, I can't take as much as I used to be able to.

Klingon;

Slowed down a bit. All the NZ stuff went well before Xmas, but a bit too pricey to reorder.

Getting the French / Italian stuff off the internet. (4000yen for 6 botts).

Bought the wife a bottle of cassis yesterday, so the wine is all mine now.

\:D

• 1 month later...

Yes! Hangovers are essentialy dehydration brought on by drinking. So drinking a non-alcaholic liquid helps. The aspirin is a help with the inevitable headache that will follow.

For me, drinking too much wine no matter what I do (white wine mostly) after or during always makes my teeth hurt the next morning. Does this happen to anybody else?

Drink at least 1 liter of water before going to bed and you'll wake up in much better shape than if you didn't drink anything. Take my word for it I've done both and water is the key!

Kintaro,

If you're or Asian descent, you might have a general problem with the sulfites that are present in most wines, red or white, although this isn't necessarily true in all cases - I have two ABC friends in Hawaii that can tank numerous bottles of good wine with no ill effect.

I've had killer evil throbbing wine headaches before, but haven't noticed the teeth hurting...

The water cure works really well, but I carry it one step further and drink a lot of sports drinks immediately before tying one on so my hydration level is initially good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
...makes my teeth hurt the next morning. Does this happen to anybody else?
yep. It is hard to describe, but my teeth do hurt after heavy drinking. Particularly my bottom teeth. I have not studied it, but wine seems to be the main culprit.

Before any conclusions are drawn it needs to be kept in mind that:
a) I have not been to a dentist since 1993
B) In 1993 I removed my braces with a pair of pliers (and went to aforementioned the dentist to have the really tough bits removed)

I remember posting some huge theory of hangover prevention a few years back.

Before bed:
1. Drink lots of water before bed.
2. Down 4 or 5 strong headache tablets.
3. Down a hand full of vitamin B tablets (really over do them, it helps heaps).
After waking up:
4. Have a beer within your first hour of waking up.
5. Find some exceptionally strong painkillers and consume with your second beer

Mr me tarzan always downs some powder from a little green sachet before drinking. Not sure what it is but it comes from the pharmacy. I think it comes in genki drink form too.

I know a few doctors who have hooked themselves up to drips to aid with the rehydration process...

Quote:
Before bed:
1. Drink lots of water before bed.
2. Down 4 or 5 strong headache tablets.
3. Down a hand full of vitamin B tablets (really over do them, it helps heaps).
After waking up:
4. Have a beer within your first hour of waking up.
5. Find some exceptionally strong painkillers and consume with your second beer
OK, step by step.....

1. definitely correct!
2. use aspirin only and not paracetamol or ibu. 2 will do just fine
3. I heard that vitamine B helps A LOT - but I've never tried it. Do and report back plase!
4.+5. I don't think staying drunk is a viable option to most.