or at least it does when you work at a school all week and then they make you work Saturday mornings all but one Saturday a month! I'm sitting at work now, at 10:30-ish on a Saturday morning wishing I was either out boarding or at home in bed mad.gif

What bits and pieces of your working conditions really give you the shits? I don't mean work in general either, of course all of us would rather not have to work at all. Just the particularly annoying parts.

Getting no work in until you're desperate, then having 5 clients call one after the after.

Having Japanese clients who think they're more proficient at English than you are.

Katakana English of unverifiable meaning.

Having clients point out that your invoice is wrong by 2 yen.

Having clients who like faxes.

People wanting volume discounts. Do they want me to discount quality by the same percentage?

Clients who take six weeks to prepare a document then expect it to be translated in two days.

Sitting on your bum all day.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

Having Japanese clients who think they're more proficient at English than you are.

Katakana English of unverifiable meaning.

Having clients who like faxes.

Sitting on your bum all day.
Right on the head O11! These are the bits I hated most about translating. Especially clients who think their English is better than yours. Well why the **** ask for a translator??

I have a couple of very painful clients who honestly believe that they are my first and foremost priority at any given time.

For example, I took a day off last week and returned the next day to find a series of bizarre emails:

"Nicole,

Would you mind sending me a copy of the photo I emailed you last week? I forgot to save it and deleted all my sent items.

Thanks!

Client"

Followed by:

"Nicole,

Sorry to pester but I need that pic urgently, can you send it ASAP?

Thanks,

Client"

Followed by:

"Hi Nicole,

Haven't heard back from you... hope you aren't having email problems... anyway, I have a meeting in 30 minutes so if you can email the photo through now that'd be great.

Cheers,

Client"

Followed by:

"Nicole,

Leaving for that meeting now so just email it through to my hotmail and I'll access it from my PDA.

Client"

Followed by:

"Nicole,

I just rang the office and they told me you weren't in. Not to worry, went through my Recycle Bin and found the pic.

Talk soon

Client"

:rolleyes:

Other than that, I like my job just fine. \:\)

last friday, the higher-ups called a company-wide meeting to say no more internet use for non-work related stuff due to privacy info. protection (i.e. stop surfing, people)

grrh!

everyone had to install this program that supposedly blocks or reports? a bunch of sites. no more gmail no more SJ for me at work \:\(

they also handed out a list of unacceptable things to have on your PC. i double checked one of the things on the list with a co-worker and yes, you are officially not allow to have: nu-do gazou.

who would have that on their work PC? damn. no more p*rn at work either

My one small hate at work is gutless cowards who spend more energy trying to find reasons why they can't succeed than they spend actually trying to succeed. These weak senior people do not deserve their jobs.

My work internet access is filtered and all naughty or silly sites are blocked, along with all web mail services. But now a new level has been reached. I did a Google search on 'racist' last week and the Google results page was denied by our in house filter!

(ps - hi ThunderP)

Those in-house filters are nuts. My company used to throw up a threatening message in red on a black backgournd that said "You have tried to access the WWF global website! This a forbidden site!! Your questionable activity has been logged!!! An investigation of your questionable activity will now start in accordance with Section 89b of the corporate penal code!!!! Beware!!!!!"

Or something like that. Who knew what would represent an infringement?

The company website says that the company is an open, progressive company that has fantastic respect for its employees, its most valuable and trusted resource. Yes, I think so.

Well, like all the kinds of madness breaking out around the world these days, that is just another kind that will lead practitioners straight down the can. What company can hope to survive that cuts off the ears of its employees and tries to poke their eyes out too for good measure?

wow, there are much stricter places than my office.

thanks thunderpants. i think it's more about the log that i'm worried about. two days after that meeting, an email came from one of the tech guys, asking whoever has an email address ****@gol.com, contact me immediately. strange!

if the name of the website wasn't i'mlookingatshi*tthati'mnotsupposedtobelookingat.com, i'd love to use it

oh well, could be worse. season's arrived anyway: less computer time, more snowboarding!