Having a bit of a lazy day today and just watching a bit of the womens marathon. Looking at some of the closeups, they seem to be going real fast - I'd love to know how their speed compares to mine when I am jogging..... looks a fair bit faster unless I'm mistaken. How anyone can do that for over 2 hours is beyond me.

I'd love to know how to increase the lengths I can go while keeping some kind of speed going. I suppose of course it is a case of gradually pushing yourself further.

Whats the longest any of you other runners on here have done?

Race pace was around 3:30- 4 min km's depending on the distance so training was probably around 5 min km's with some fartlek thrown in.

Winter was just when we used to do the big miles to build up the endurance and speed it up coming into race season (spring).

These days , just watching a marathon makes me sweat..

Today 5 min km's just in training would probably kill me!

Orange, in Uni I was averaging 80-110 miles/week for over 3 years. That does included two a days (morning & afternoon workouts). Have ran a marathon and longer; but the hardest event Id say Ive done was a half-ironman. 1 mile swim, 50 mile bike, half-marathon. That kicked my @ss \:D

I use to help coach at Roy Benson's running camps in the states when I was in Uni for hs/jhs runners, if ya want a running program PM me. But, Ive put up similar programs under other threads youve posted about running too ;\)

have run 4 marathons:

4:43:?? (included a stop at a kiosk for two dim sims and a bucket of chips)

2:48:03

3:08:15

2:59:3?

am entered in a 10k. run on dec.4th. and will be doin me best to run a sub 43min. running to me now is just a way to keep fit and keep the aerobic capacity up, so i can enjoy other activities.

Runners are a breed unto themselves.

I've done the Gold Coast Marathon 10km run every year for the past six years, my best time was a few years ago at 0:47:15.

Unfortunately my body is screaming out for me to stop (stress fractures in my shins, torn ligaments, bad knees) so I think 2006 might be my last year.

i just ran 10K in Toda, Saitama last sunday, the day of the women's marathon. a slow 53:49 finish for me but my goal was to run 2 slow, then 1 medium-paced kms and i did it. good warm up for snowboard season!

it's funny saying to people to ran a "maraso-n" and then they go "Wow!" and i have to correct myself, no not "marathon," "maraso-n dessyo." haha

when i was wrestling and kickboxing, we'd run 5k, work out for 2 hours, then hit the wieghts for an hour with 45-second repetitions, then run another 5k... but that was 10 years ago.

so last week's 6 miles was the longest i've run.

how about you, orange?

i don't know much about long-distance training, but i've heard of the 10 percent rule: 1) do not increase your total weekly mileage by more than 10 percent nor 2) increase the distance of your long run by more than 10 percent per week.

Otherwise, you supposedly risk injury.

I ran the Honolulu marathon when I was 23. It ran by my house every year and blocked off the street so I decided that rather than being irritated by it I would join it. That night I went to bed at 8pm, first time since I was 5 years old. I will never punish myself like that again!

School kids often say MARATHON for the one they do every winter at school. At school we used to call it a mini marathon.

My students (who runs marathons) says that she's going to run in a marathon but after furthur investigation I find that it's usually a 5 or 10K. Fun run?

cal - maybe 20kms or more?

Quote:
I like how the meaning of English(foreign) words often lose the context in which theyre used in Japan
Smart ---> never means "wise", it just does "slim"

Hips ---> means butts

Air conditioner --> Cooler

Card --> trump

Stapler --> hotchkiss

Steering wheel --> handle

gamera, i stand corrected.

there are words that have more than one pronunciation in katakana/japanese, which i get confused by, for example:

ubiquitous【発音】ju(:)bi'kwitэs、【@】ユービクイタス、ユビӞ 1;タス

which is it and why?

nevermind somehow beocmes = don't mind, which then = don-mai-n, don-mai-n!! (nevermind my spelling ;\)

Roger-more than you would ever want to know about Hotchkiss-Brand Staplers. http://www.jekai.org/entries/aa/00/np/aa00np69.htm

reminds me of how x-ray is called "rentogen" in japan, after the man who discovered x-rays, Dr. Roetngen, not for the technology itself.

this deserves like 87 へぇs!

what about marathons?