Well that was a bit ... anaemic. Good for urbanites who want lots of prepackaged stuff, but not much of interest for us organic types.

But I'm encouraged to learn that so many people are interested in growing their own food. It seems to indicate an appropriate level of concern about the future of food.

Yeah, local would be nice.

I'd like to have a range of organic stuff, with a mix of vegetables, fruit, animals, as well as alternative energy projects like solar towers, algal biodiesel and things. There aren't very many of this kind of farm around here, but it may be possible to develop a market for one or two.

It's funny, but when I mention that I quite fancy farming, people say "Oh that's no life. Everybody's getting out of that."

Kintaro, you're right about that.

In the UK, a lot of 'traditional' farmers are giving up because they can't make a living with chemical farming anymore. Young business persons are buying up the land for organic farming with no experience at all, and are doing OK with new business models. I find this most inspiring. There are also a few banks and other institutions looking to finance this kind of venture too. And there is loads of free info to be had on the Net.

• 1 month later...

Hi slow,

I had a very long and interesting dream last night involving several of the SJ cast. I know what db and several other people look like so I think he was pretty close, but I don't know what you look like so there might have been some error there. There was nothing deviant about the dream, so the rest of you can shut up already.

Sorry to hear about your cabbage problems. I guess cabbage growers are trying to make up for that big hit they took in the summer when cabbages were worth nothing. I borrowed 農業と食料がわかる事典 from the library, and was surprised to read that the 自給率 for ramen and gyoza was only 7%. Not that everybody cares about that though.

My veggies are doing well, in spite of the snow and the freezing nighttime temperatures. I'm looking forward to a big spring harvest of onions, peas and broad beans. I just made a potato tower today out of old car tyres (illegally dumped in my neighbourhood). We've eaten all my mikan which were excellent, and are now on iyokan, also excellent.

Last summer I was a bit distracted by an invasion of girls from town and my summer produce was not spectacular at all, but this summer there will be an overabundance of corgettes, aubergines, tomatoes, herbs and other good things. Bees too maybe.

• 1 month later...

Kintaro, Ocean, I still remember you were talking about growing avocado before. I found Japanese avocado farmer in Wakayama. http://wiwi.co.jp/vwakayama/wiwi/shop/K1306/intro/osusume.html

He is growing interesting fruits. White Sapote?

Off topic but I went to Shinjuku Gyoen last weekend and saw huge Banana tree in the glasshouse. I felt like I became an ant. Banana trees are so cool! \:\)

My avacado trees are still pretty young, but very genki. I think I'm about a year away from producing something to eat.

I've had a banana tree and they are extremely fickle! Not the best plants to pot.

Great, thanks slow! Just what I wanted.

I have passed on the information to the Food Procurement Department.

I have some avocado seeds in pots in my garden as my second try at growing them. The seed coatings have promising looking splits in them, but otherwise I have no idea if they'll grow.

I saw some bananas growing in an onsen-heated glasshouse as one of the attractions in Kyushu's Jigoku Meguri. They were thriving. The bananas were on sale for 500 yen per banana. Er, no thanks.