Whiskey - who wins scotch or bourbon?

2 Japanese friends of mine were having a heated discussion about whiskeys last night - I couldn't really join in as I don't have much experience about Scotch whiskey. I grew up on JD Single Barrel & Bulleit.

It seemed to be a scotch vs bourbon conversation.

Help me. Who wins?

Buffalo Trace

"A massive, treacle like hit on first gulp, then an oaky aftertaste. Dry and smokey too - like licking a leather armchair".

Nice review. I like this one.

Ive been drinking Gentleman Jack the past week or so as me mum was kind enough to bring some thru duty free. I cant say enough about how good this stuff is!

for the shochu drinkers...I know squat about the stuff. any advice about brands, varietys, what to look for etc?? Sorry hope Im not hijacking this thread

Bourbon, hands down. And maoriboy, that Gentleman Jack is some good stuff!

My J-father-in-law was always a Scotch man until I brought him down South (U.S) and my uncle gave him a bottle of Makers Mark. Nowadays I usually see bourbon's in his house.

Although shochu isn't really part of this topic, when I personally drink, it's almost always shochu. Every now and then I'll enjoy a goma shochu. But Iichiko is prob my favorite.

Hum...... Unless... this word also always bothers me.

If that "bourbon unless you're 40+" were right, I have to say scotch because I am in my 40's.

Does this make sense or I just get confused by myself? lol....

We can say "If --- not" for any case but "unless -- " only when there's no other choice e.g. "you can not get in the female onsen unless you are a woman" and I am not a woman and there's no choice ( I can not be a woman ) so I can not get in there... Correct?

confused.gif

Scotch single malt without a doubt. Unless you time warp me back to the age of around 17/18 at a party where AC/DC, Iron Maiden, The Doors etc are playing on the stereo-with the police and noise control about to turn up lol.gif

Quote:

I spent a lot of time as an undergrad doing fieldwork in NW Scotland. It was nice to spend a week working from one end of the line of single malts to the other. [/QB]
Fieldwork on Skye... although if I remember correctly, the scotch stacked on four shelves over two walls (if I remember correctly) of the Sligachan were far more than I could handle in a week.