1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I never had a "Very different from pictures of their brochure" experience before. Because I'm very careful chooser and usually compare many pictures from different angles by brochure and website.

I usually don't choose pension because I know I can't expect good food and nice bed at pension. I prefer staying minshuku and sleep in Futon.

Q2, you should add nice Onsen. It's very important for me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I like that minshuku very much. It was very reasonable and the owner was very flexible and nice. Minshukus in Nozawa seem like very good quality.

But this year, I'm looking forward to staying at Fattwin's place in Hakuba. I'll see you there! ;\)

About 10 years ago we had about 2 cases of not being able to book accomodation on the phone, with the tune changing abruptly when my wife gave her katakana name. Nothing recently though. When you consider that a full quarter of Japanese people are now marrying foreigners, it's not surprising that hoteliers are getting used to foreign names.

Gams - Yes for sure the cabin I mentioned is unbelievable value at Y12,000/night. It would be rare I think, plus it's part supported by the local town.

But there are many places around it seems for not a lot more than that. eg I've stayed in a very nice log-cabin in Gifu very near Dynaland/Takasu Snow Park - nice kitchen & bathroom, combined bedroom/living downstairs, good loft, under floor heating etc - and it was about Y15000 or so. That was for 3 adults and 1 kid for all that space & comfort. And such a nice atmosphere - log cabins + snow = big grins.

But I'm probably influenced by too many Lassie type movies when I was a vulnerable kid. ;\)

Your place sounds the bees knees Gam. I must try and get there sometime.

I don't know which one slow went to, but the minshuku called Ikesho at Nozawa is pretty good. The food is lovely and the people are great. The interior is all exposed beams.

On the whole, minshukus do a much better job of Japanese food that pensions do of French or Italian.

For good sausages, a place on Sado Island does them mail order. It's called "henjinmokko". The main man spent many years in Germany and has since has won lots of international awards. Their stuff was also on that "dottchi" cooking program a couple of months back.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/mokko/

I've not had the bacon, but the more expensive ones in the shops around here aren't too bad. Its that weird rectangular one that gets me. The bloke across the road has promised to teach me how to smoke stuff, so I'm looking forward to having a crack at making my own bacon sometime.

I love pensions and minshukus/ryokans.

Yes, the per person thing is a bit steep but in the end it is still worth the money (cheaper than staying at a Joe Lambda place in Banff for example). As for bacon in the morning, well guys, c'mon we're in Japan, didn't some of you in another thread think they were not getting enough of the real japanese experience. I have no issue if the bacon is not their specialty. would be the same for a whooper or a cheeseburger in the evening. Actually, I would be hoping that I get none of that. To be honest, breakfast is always too late for me anyway. So I always book excluding breakfast, stop by a 7/11 in the morning in order to be on the slopes by the open and enjoy empty slopes for a couple of hours while everybody else is enjoying their bacon back at the pension. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Pensions serve western dinners almost exclusively and predominantly western breakfasts. This is Japan, so it's completely out of choice. In that sense, western food is their "speciality". If breakfast isn't early enough for you, that also would be a suitable suggestion/complaint.

As for empty slopes, I live five minutes walk from the lifts and go out mainly on weekdays. No problems there chief!

If I am paying money to stay somewhere I just want place to be clean (general, rooms, bed, etc) and also comfortable. One time I stayed somewhere in Fukushima and it was terrible - I complain aboit it to hotel association.

I hear ya Mr. Wiggles. I guess I could complain, but can't be bothered. Just easier to manage the morning on my own.

One thing I would not complain about for sure is living 5 minutes from the slopes and being able to ski on weekdays. That would indeed make one hell of a happy chief!

Do not mess with I Am Sexy, or she climbs all the way to the top of the ladder!

gamera I did complain to hotel but they seemed not interested and it made me more angery about it. So I complain about hotel.

I don't like complain but if I really feel strongly about it I will.

Other time I did like this was I saw some small family "zoo" (?) and they keeping rabbit in terrible condition. I called animal association to report about it.

Well if they did not listen to you then they deserved it.

Good on you for calling the animal society (not sure what they call it here) as well.

Rabbit, hmmm, reminds of a series, tsuri baka nishi, or something like this. Some woman gave her pet rabbit to take care of it and his mum who lives in the country-side ends up having it for dinner.... You had to see it, pretty funny.