• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, stereotyping. but it's the use of the 'gaijin' stereotype which i don't like.

it's bad enough that every person i meet thinks i'm american, but to suddenly lump every single non-japanese person together is a bit of a stretch, no?

i wish i could be sarcastic in japanese. i just can't seem to do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Yeah, that's when you have to start saying things like
"Datte, Nihonjin ha minna yasashii mon, ne... II hito bakkashi da yo ne..."
lol.gif

I had the "gaijin" thang pulled on me this morning walking to the bus stop. Theres a street that is about 2 meters across, ya know, those strees where only a K-car can fit through. Anyways, theyre doing construction nearby and theres a "guardsman" to help direct traffic :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yes, this 2 meter stretch is quite dangerous. So, walking towards the bus stop my light is red but since there are no cars, in any direction, I cross over. The gurard starts blowing his whistle and raising his flags saying "stoppu, stoppu, Omae! Abunai, abunaizo! Gaijin ha meccha bakayanka?!" Stopped dead in my tracks, looked at him, spun around slowly looking for any traces of a car, and said the only thing dangerous here is your inability to think.

Hum no offence even if my English can not explain things good, let me try.

The point you dislike is why Japanese always distinguish between Japanese and foreigners, right?

If it's in your country and when you see people with different skin color, you never say "Ahhhh gaijin!". Right?

One thing that differs here than in many western countries is that here gaijin are still relatively rare. I would think when "gaijin" types were still in low numbers in these western countries, the "gaijin phenom" was probably similar to what it is here now.

I think some people think about this word waaaaay too much..... You'll get sterotyping everywhere.

Speak with the ethnic communities in big cities in England and you will hear a lot of complaints.

I've discussed this with my friends and they seem to understand the situation and how it can cause offence. One friend I know insists on calling foreigners "gaijin-sama" which seems to take it a bit far! Very well meaning person..

Hasn't this gaijin-sama thing come up on another thread? I do find it odd when Americans have called me as "Sir" before. I know it's only a politeness but it still sounds a bit wierd when it's not in a server/customer context, as in "Would you like some fries with that sir?"

r45 - I am not sure why. But if someone said "Gaijin-SAMA", it sounds really strange to me. Sounds as if the person made a fool of foreigners. Maybe some would accept the way even when they are called like that in casual occassions.

Perhaps only I might feel that though... What do you think?

Davo - I sometimes reply " Yes, sir" when my guests ask/talk something to me coz I am in server/customer situation.

I'm white brit but live and was brought up in a city in the UK that has a very large ethnic 'minority'. I also live in the area of the city that has the largest number of indians and pakistani's(the local mosque is visible from my window). The white people in my area are infact by far the minority with black people coming a close forth.. then chinese and then immigrants from eastern Europe.

Growing up this led to the interesting situation where me and my white friends were expieriencing racism growing up. This though was outweighed by the racism thrown back and forth between the muslim pakistani's and the hindu indians. This leads me to think that in general that racism is usually only a product of insecurity and ignorance of individuals rather than any actual belief of inferiority by anything further reaching. Therefore though it still shocks me if somebody is blatently prejudiced against me it doesnt make me feel at all unwelcome in the particular land I'm in, just that the person is an idiot.

Therefore if I ever expieriance a large amount of racism in a particular place or area, i'll probably just think to myself not "blimey this place is very racist" but "blimey this place must have a bit of a crappy education system"

Or something along those lines ;\)

It is still a term with racist undertones. In Canada, i talked with some Japanese kids (in japanese) and they sometimes referred to me as a gaijin, right in my oun country. So i would stop the conversation, and ask what `gaijin` meant. They said the usual thing about it being a forigner, not getting the hint at all. So then i have to ask them what country they are in, and sometimes they get it. And for those that don`t, i spell it out for them, its that ingrained.

And when i call them gaijin, they do not take kindly to the term. Hmmmmmmmm...