Japanese language at work

reading about bilingual kids, JLPT, etc got me wondering...

To what extent are you using Japanese at work? Are you writing emails and reports, or mainly reading and conversing? Do you use English all the time, or rarely?

Lately I've been forcing myself to read more news off of Japanese websites, but I know it will be a long time before I am able to write up stuff in decent business Japanese..

Montoya, I am not sure my answer helps you or not coz I'm opposite from you (J=my primary languate, E= my secondary ).

Quote:
To what extent are you using Japanese at work?
When I speak with Japanese customers and customers who want to practice Japanese.

Quote:
Are you writing emails and reports, or mainly reading and conversing?
Hmm.. all the stuff above.

Quote:
Do you use English all the time, or rarely?
Not all the time, but often especially if it's e-mail.

Quote:
I know it will be a long time before I am able to write up stuff in decent business Japanese..
gambare!!

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
To what extent are you using Japanese at work? Are you writing emails and reports, or mainly reading and conversing? Do you use English all the time, or rarely?

Lately I've been forcing myself to read more news off of Japanese websites, but I know it will be a long time before I am able to write up stuff in decent business Japanese..
I speak Japanese at school. Except in classes where its over 80-90% English. I write emails in Japanese, syllabi, only a few reports, and letters to parents - I have the letters to parents proof-read by another teacher. Have to read all school mails, letters, and info at meetings in Jap. and explain it to the other foreign teacher here.

I sometimes do translations for movie reviews, upcoming events, and interviews. Havent fussed with technical stuff for some time now...

To what extent are you using Japanese at work?

> Not particularly good Japanese quite a bit.

Are you writing emails and reports, or mainly reading and conversing?

> Talking!

Do you use English all the time, or rarely?

Probably 1/3 of the time.

What are you studying and where Tsondaboy?

My day is composed of about 30 percent Japanese emails, 70 percent English emails, 20 percent English speaking, 80 percent Japanese speaking, 50 percent Japanese reading, 50 percent English reading ... Sometimes I wish I had more foreigners around me at work. There is me, a half-japanese guy (Shane) and then about 70 Japanese.

Interesting thread though.

Recently been using lot more Japanese at work, however have had a few pretty bad mistakes like when I accidently asked the boss if I could wipe my hands on his ass rather than the cloth usually given!! (shiburi and oshiri!!) \:\( Ooops! lol.gif

Speaking of Japanese guffaws, reminded me of a REALLY terrible translater at a recent Hump Back Whale conference I attended.

A Proffesor from an Arctic center was making his speech and the interpreter was attempting to translate along with him into Japanese. His subject was discussing the problem of bycatch when a whale is entangled in a fishermans net. Anyway, he was describing a new techinique, "Recently we have had kits stationed at variuos points along the coast which are thrown into the sea and used to untangle the whales" However the translation was made a little more entertaining when a key word was mistaken and came out as.... "we have KIDS stationed along the coast who are thrown into the water to save the whale!!!!!!!!!!!!"

eek.gif eek.gif lol.gif