No blowing but it maxxed almost everywhere down here on the weekend. Provided some of the best ever surf for the world surfing tour which wrapped up in chiba today.

Just hope this hits us in Nagoya overnight tomorrow so that I don't have to cancel classes tomorrow.

It's a bit weird at the moment rach. Quietly raining for the most part, but with occasional sudden blasts of wind. The crickets are chirping like crazy. School's closed.

This one is bigger and more powerful than Katrina, or so I'm told.

It looks like the supercomputer threw out another result. The names themselves.

I'm glad I have the resources of a fully equipped Research Department to fall back on instead of thrashing about in the dark like everybody else must have to do.

Hey OC - your super must have been in slo-mode

I got those links a year or so ago in el quicko time. I was being constantly asked by students why "western" hurricanes, cyclones have names and I said so do Japanese typhoons, but they wouldn't believe me. So...

What I love about that site is how it infers that the number system is so popular in Japan - as if there was a public referendum and the masses chose numbers over names. Smacks more of bureaucratic officiousness than anything.

I asked 31 students last week what was the number of the big one that caused havoc and flooding here in Takamatsu last year. Only 4 could recall # 16. Now if it had a name like er..Koizumi, then no one would have forgotten - perhaps.

Did you get swamped this arvo / eve OC? We had a fair bit of rain and moderate winds but the main worry is high tide, peaking in about an hour - maybe the same in Matsuyama.

I'm gonna check the canal now about 200m away - the other side houses have all been evacuated coz they lie much lower.

I'm predicting a just lapping the top situation. \:\)

It was a noisy night last night. It sounded like there were demons running round the house. The house didn't shake like hell as it did in 'Tokage' though. We've had a lot of rain, and high wind from about 3 am, but we're done now.

I hope the water stays below the lip where you are. We're on high ground so that's not a worry, but getting hit by the wind can be grim.

It's coming our way now (should be off Niigata proper by tonight) and the winds have been pretty strong since just after midnight. Howling now and the house feels like it's moving.