According to the map it was 6.8 somewhere up that way. I hope the area and people are okay.

Yeh, that was long alright - I was on the phone.... pouring down with rain outside at the same time. I felt like I was on a boat in waves, though not as strong as the last one a few weeks back.

Magnitude-6.8 earthquake jolts northern Japan

Tsunami warning issued; injuries reported in Sendai

BREAKING NEWS

Updated: 11:28 p.m. ET Aug. 15, 2005

TOKYO - A strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.8 struck the northeast coast of Japan on Tuesday, triggering a tsunami warning and shaking buildings nearly 200 miles away in Tokyo, the nation’s Meteorological Agency said.

Kyodo News Agency said many people were reported injured in the coastal city of Sendai, Kyodo News Agency said. But the national broadcaster NHK, citing city officials, said there was no major damage.

A 4-inch tsunami reached the Japanese shore about 15 minutes after the quake struck, NHK said, with no major damage immediately reported. While a tsunami can rise to great heights when it arrives at the shore, such waves are often barely noticeable in the ocean.

Story continues below ?

advertisement

The quake was centered nearly 13 miles beneath the ocean off the coast of Miyagi prefecture in northeastern Japan, NHK said, citing the nation’s Meteorological Agency. The quake hit around 11:46 a.m. local time.

The U.S. Geological Survey registered the quake with a 7 magnitude.

Japan sits at the juncture of four tectonic plates — or moving slabs of the earth’s outer crust — and is one of the world’s most quake-prone regions.

Earlier in the day, a 4.9 magnitude earthquake shook Japan’s northern island of Hokkaido. There was no danger of a tsunami in that one.

A magnitude-6.0 quake shook the Tokyo area on July 23, injuring more than two dozen people and suspending flights and trains for hours. A magnitude-5 quake can damage homes and other buildings if it is centered in a heavily populated area.

A Dec. 26 earthquake with a magnitude estimated at 9.1 to 9.3 and the subsequent tsunami killed more than 131,000 people in Indonesia and left half a million homeless. Three months later, another strong temblor left more than 900 dead on Nias and smaller surrounding islands

I just got back home to Sendnai and found the house a little messy with pictures and books but nothing major. I was sitting in a restaurant in fukushima when it hit. All the lights went out and the stops lights outside turned off for about 5-10 minutes.

Kintaro: I was thinking of you today. In Fukishima you probably got less than us. I was stopped at lights, feeling the car go sideways, watching the power poles swaying, wondering what 250kg of falling transformer would do to the car roof.

Ocean11. Plate tectonics created Japan, and earthquakes will be the price, until it is crushed between China and North America, when the Pacific closes. Thank god I won't live to see that.