Prescient Ltd carried out the research on behalf of the Foreign Office in February and March 2003 among a sample of 750 16-30 year olds across the UK. It showed:

Quote:
47% say their main reason is clubbing and partying
 Quote:
15% saying they go on holiday to have sex
 Quote:
It would appear this is regretted by some...27% of those who say they do stupid things or party hard or to excess on holiday say they have casual sex
 Quote:
And some 35% believe holidays are all about "''partying hard" and "doing things to excess". Of these 71% said they drank excessively
I also read in a paper that 20% of tourists from east England said that brawling was a 'major part' of their holiday.

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/content/detail.asp?NewsAreaID=2&ReleaseID=83437

With such a primed population of young males on the verge, ready to pop their corks at any given moment, it's easy to see why the worlds most frustrating game - soccer - pushes these said boyz into eruptive furies.

Is soccer (the only game where long ago in Britland a coaches words "use your head boy" was taken literally) now serving as foreplay for this excited lot? Perhaps the ancient games of croquet or petanque would offer a more calming effect.

Or further remedial action to salve such exuberance could be for the British Govt. to introduce a "Comfort Women" plan, where, for small change only (you know the cost of a pint) these suffering souls could find relief.

I've heard many such plans in the past have had marvellous success in curbing wanton male frustrations - Tojo rings a bell somewhere.

;\)

Brit-gob - just a bit of gentle ribbing there. \:D

Hell, I've even been known to watch a game or 3 myself and thoroughly enjoy them.

I guess though all pro-sports have inherent elements of frustration - probably because they are such competetive activities in a win at all costs situation. No one seriously enjoys losing at that level.

In the case of soccer, frustration appears to be compounded by the simple fact of "It's so difficult to score". Time and time and time again a team can display superior skills, attack the goal often, have many near misses only to lose the game from a 5 sec lapse which let the boffins score.

You may well say, there in lies the beauty of the game - the great leveller - everyones got a chance. That may well be - but it sure doesn't change the fact that it's damn frustrating.

I can't think of another pro-sport where misses are celebrated (because the real goals are so rare)and draws are normal. Certainly a recipe for frustration.

Perhaps a reflection of this can be observed by the comparatively aggressive nature of some fans.

Few countries have been spared from soccer crowd violence at some time or another.

However the really aggressive contact sports, american / australian football, rugby etc certainly have their share of rowdy spectators, but I can't recall any similar displays of the vicious bone-crunching brawling & rampaging that accompanies some soccer games - irregardless of country & culture.

Too damn frustrating. \:\)

> but I can't recall any similar displays of the vicious bone-crunching brawling & rampaging that accompanies some soccer games

That's how football started. All other aggressive contact sports are developments of football, but for 'gentlemen's edication'. Once the bone crunching was taken out of football, it had to go somewhere else.

We used to have wars and Empire. Now we have brawls and holidays. Only the format has changed - the motives remain the same.

Any social scientists care to comment on the reliability of a survey with 750 respondents? Sample size always seems like a real issue to me (regardless of what the logic of my statistical training tells me).

Are 750 data points really representative?