Are there many speed cameras on the roads/expressways here? I can't recall seeing many, just some lined up on the expressway.

Well until today maybe there was a series of strange new things at the side of the road that looked like they could be cameras. There were about 4 within 1km, each with some white light that seemed to flash when someone was going fast.

Those things in groups of 3 or 4 are not speed cameras. They are cameras to monitor the traffic movement around Japan and they just read your number plate. There are three or four of them at diffrent angles to cover different heights of vehicles. I used to think they were speed traps too until a student of mine who works for Japan Highways told me what they were. The speed cameras are the ones in the middle of the road or at the side in the trees. They are the ones that look like elephants (well kind of...). Anyway the grey boxes with the really long grey tubes sticking out the front. They have really powerful telephoto lenses so if you are near enough to see the camera then its too late to slow down. As Indosnm says - watch out for the signs. Usually 2 rows of white kanji (no hiragana or katakana) on a blue background. Most of the cameras don't have film in them all year round as it's too expensive. The best tactic is if you suddenly notice that you are the only person in the outside lane - slow down, everyone else knows where the cameras are!

Well, as usually happens with cameras, you find out by mail about 3 weeks later.

As me jane said most cameras don't have any film in them half the time. The police told me that there was 25 shots in the film and all those people had to come in on the day I did from say.. 10am-12.

I used my gaijin charm and was lucky to get off. saved me about 150,000yen as I was 52km over.. Mind you that was 112km on a highway so it doesn't seem that bad.

More and more in England it's difficult to find a stretch of road more than a few km that doesn't either have cameras, dummy cameras or the silly camera signs warning you about them.

014SI1.JPG

> The best tactic is if you suddenly notice that you are the only person in the outside lane - slow down

The more gutsy and stylish approach is to step on it and 'race the shutter'.

You're right there big-will - there are so many of those things now it's getting ridiculous. In the NW, Lancashire seems to have got quite a reputation for itself catching a lot of speeders.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
> The best tactic is if you suddenly notice that you are the only person in the outside lane - slow down

The more gutsy and stylish approach is to step on it and 'race the shutter'.
Yeah the cp wouldn't tell me the max speed the cams can take you at. I was pushing him though! He said any speed! lol.gif

Britain has loads of warnings, Japan has loads of cameras, but I've yet to have any probs in Japan or the UK.

Australia, however... speed at your own risk. I've never seen police appear so fast at the mere thought of speeding.

And lets not start on parking tickets...

Mate, OZ is shocking. They have dropped the speed limit in many areas to 50! And now you can get done for being 2kms over. Thats farking petty revenue raising and not really saving lives.

Half the time I get my wife or someone else to drive. i will have to sell my beasts before I get back! I'd lose my licince in a day!

Britain has way too many warnings - signs every 100 ms is polluting the roadsides.

Also noticed lots of ads by the side of motorways, usually on the side of old barns or trucks - never used to see that.

They should come up with helpful camera recognising machines that alert us of speed cameras in the same way there are those police finder radars.

I'll be sure to slow down next time I see an elephant at the side of the road though. ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by SKI:
They should come up with helpful camera recognising machines that alert us of speed cameras in the same way there are those police finder radars.
And, youre the one whos against doing things because theyre against the rules and potentially dangerous, e.g. ducking ropes and skiing outta bounds...

Speeding isnt dangerous?

That sure was quick, we're you getting ove excited that you might have 'caught me out' or something? Almost like someone else we know....

Do you understand this >> ;\)

A girl I was dating got a 45,000 yen ticket going from Misawa to Morioka. She was doing about 35kph over the limit and was just stupid in not remembering where the cameras were. There are 2 sets of cameras from Misawa to the ski areas around Morioka - I was a gaijan and realized this. For some reason, a lot of Japanese I knew got tickets anyway. Beats me....

I do, however, have my speeding ticket I got in Misawa City framed and hanging on my wall \:D Speedtraps, man.... Waves were good and I was in a hurry to get home from work and grab my board. I almost ran the dimwit cop over that jumped in front of my truck after the speed detector started going off. I was doing a whopping 6 kph over the limit. :rolleyes: yikes, lock me up! ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
A girl I was dating got a 45,000 yen ticket going from Misawa to Morioka. She was doing about 35kph over the limit and was just stupid in not remembering where the cameras were.
Gee that sounds cheap! I haven't heard of anything under 100k in Nagoya.. I was going to be up for alot if I had to pay... also they wouldn't let me have the pic..

I think the fine goes up according to how many kms over you were. A good friend of mine was done just 10,000 yen - he wasn't way over the limit just a bit.

I know that, but 35 over is pretty much over the limit isn't it?

I was going to be up for 13-15man for 52km's over. from 50km over is the next bracket but a 10man jump seems huge!

I have heard that it also varies if you were caught by a cop or on film.