Good electronics in Tokyo and Sapporo?

Hey everyone!

Im heading over to Japan in Jan 2003. After snowboarding I'm in Tokyo for 5 nights. I am snowbaording in Niseko. I just wanted to know whereabouts the best places are for electronics shopping in Tokyo and Sapporo. My girlfriend wants to by a digital video camera.

Cheers!

Drew

Thanks all for your replies.

I've tried looking on the net for prices for digital video cameras in Japan, but not knowing very much Japanese has made it a bit on the tricky side!

Does anyone know the range of prices for digital video cameras in Japan??

Cheers

Drew

Akihabara is good for vistitors becasue they sell the export versions(instructions etc. in English, but product is generally inferior to Japanese market) of each companies products in some of the shops.

However in terms of prices as most of the shops in Akihabara are chain stores you can go to any electronics store you see on your travels that fills a 5+ story building and get some good deals! BIC Camera is always a good start.

If you can read Japanese you can get an idea of the prices of things at bic by going here:

http://www.biccamera.co.jp

or for their range of video camera's this will take you right there:

http://www.bicbic.com/wcsjapps/CategoryDisplay.jsp?merchant_rn=1001&category=071030

They do Duty Free here so if you go to any of the shops make sure you have your passport and plane tickets! And bring your Jap-Eng dictionary!

As previous posts have said both Bic Camera and Yodabashi are part of a National Chain - so prices at these stores should be the same in Sapporo as in Tokyo...

Both Bic and Yodabashi are within a stones throw of Sapporo Station.. The advantage of buying here in Sapporo is that you could always take some footage of your trip to Niseko....

And yes, the duty free aspect will save you the 5% tax... All you need is your passport - as long as you are here under a 90 day tourist visa then no problem... I have never seen or experienced anyone asking to see a plane ticket...

BTW.. how many days at Niseko??

Cheers....

To give you a reference... I purchased a Olympus E-20 5 mp digital camera last winter before returning home to Canada for a quick visit... At that time I was on a tourist visa so I saved the tax with duty free purchase at Bic Camera in Sapporo...

This camera would have cost me about $ 3,200 cdn - after taxes - back in Vancouver but I bought it in Sapporo, saved the tax, received 13% cash back from a points card system and then landed the camera - all duties and taxes paid - in Canada for $ 1,720 cdn...... Damn near half price!!!

There are many deals to be had - but it sure helps to know what you want and the features you

"need"... Also many new models that are not yet available overseas are available here..

All in all it was painless... I didn't receive a english manual for the camera but about 2 months later someone posted a PDF of the entire manual on the web in English...

So... yeah, things are cheaper if you know what your looking for and the prices back home....

Cheers....

Quote:
Originally posted by Higuma:
... I have never seen or experienced anyone asking to see a plane ticket...
This is Japan! You are a foreigner, the rules of normality do not work for you here! (This is my experience in Tokyo! And I am fluent in Japanese! Sheesh!)

Mogski....

Don't mean to piddle in your cereal.. You are in Tokyo and perhaps the Frontier Spirit we talk about here in Sapporo is slightly different than on Honshu but...

I have made 5 major purchases at Bic duty free plus I have helped freinds who have visited to do the same on 3 or 4 occasions.... In EVERY single instance none of us where ever asked for a plane ticket ONLY a passport which indicated that a 90 day stamp...

My experience has been that sometimes it's a distinct Disadvantage to be FLUENT in japanese... I certainly wish I was.. but IF I was... I wouldn't flaunt it...

I learned very early on that this culture veiws statements of fluency as bragging and rude.... I have personally witnesed a businessman from Sapporo rip a Kiwi into peices with Japanese in 5 minutes who had professed to be "Fluent" in the language...

I learned my lesson and always UNDERSTATE my language abilities... With this people tend to be more acommodating and compassionate about my obvious shortcomings...

No insult intended... just my .02

Snowboard_Freak.... If you you would like me to check any prices for you here in Sapporo I would be glad to help if I can... If you let me know make model etc.., I will find a current price for you when I visit Bic or Yodabashi next.... Just email me direct.. Daijoubu

Cheers....

Higuma no insult taken. I'll just rate you low! (Just kidding)

Forgive me if I appeared to brag. I merely intened to qualify an observation I have made many a time here in the big (sh)city of Tokyo; It don't matter whether you speak the lingo, you will be faced with walls at every corner.

I concede that I may have a slight cynical view, but we each call it as we see or experience it right?

As for that businessman ripping a Kiwi to bits with Japanese, I would've recommended a small fruit knife, a spoon and some pavlova on the side, but each to his own. \:D

As for snowboard_freak good luck!

SB_F,

You have mail...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought the following would be of interest to the Board... If anyone has different info than I recieved please post it... I'm sure the original poster would be very interested...

The following is a excerpt from my mail to SB_F...

" It seems that - unlike Digital Still Cameras - Digital Video Cameras available in Japan are usually for Domestic Use Only and therefore do not have Multilanguage capability... i.e." Japanese camera menus only - with the exception of 1 model from Panasonic I think the salesmen said... His comments were that his department was really missing the boat on sales to Gaijin - apparently the Digital still Camera department does 25% of it's volume to foreigners..."

yeah...

tsukumo is great...they always give the most points too, and you can haggle a little (i'm talking like up to 1000yen...)...

but they are patient too...

I just got a digital camera (sony)...and it has english mode available...thank god...

danz