Planning a trip to Japan in Feb with a couple of friends and we plan to do about 5 days boarding between our tourist time in Tokyo & Kyoto.

I've managed to narrow the choice down to these two based on location and that we'll be relying on Public Transport (yay for Shinkansen!).

So now I need your outspoken opinions on what area we should head to...

Things to consider:

- We're reasonably experienced; Black runs are fun for us, and Double Black can be fun if there's good snow (home mountain is Mt.Hotham, Australia)

- We like a mix of terrain; trees, steeps, rolling hills, off piste, etc.

- Somewhere with a nightlife

- I speak & read a passable amount of Japanese so there won't be any big language issues

- Onsens...must have onsens!

Thanks guys!

No we're not driving. Which is why I picked Hakuba and Nozawa as they've accessible from public transport. I'm leaning towards Hakuba for sheer number of runs at the moment.

I only plan to spend a couple of days in Kyoto and Tokyo....seeing temples & friends - both of which I like seeing :-)

I spent a week in HongKong a couple years ago, with no real plans and had an absolute blast - there's more to city's than skyscapers you know :-D

Thanks for the tip, I'll read up on Niigata. But I seem to remember one of my Japanese teachers saying the best sushi is up in Hokkaido...

You are asking a hard question. First you cant take the shink to either of those resorts. You must head to Nagano city and then take a a train or bus from there.

Hakuba great skiing, Great little town, Even better views but harder to find the pow stashes if you dont know where to look.

Nozawa Great town, good people, free onsens but hot as the fire from hell sometimes, Big mountain lots of runs, Easier to find the pow stashes if you dont know where you are going.

Both are 1 hour away from Nagano city. Ps why not do both. 2 hours away by car.

• 8 months later...

sorry, digging up an old thread... but my question is essentailly the same - i have friends living in nozawa, so im leaning towards the idea of staying with them next january, but i want to ride some hakuba mtns as well - so my question: are day trips from nozawa to hakuba a viable option? how long by car/bus/train?

cheers \:\)

lpl.

You do not need Japanese - it is straight to Nagano City, then basically one road up to Hakuba. All you need is just some cheesy snacks to keep you and your passengers in a good mood on the trip.

cheers all, thanks for the info.

its sounding like day trips from nozawa to hakuba would be a pain - i think we'll just split the holiday between the 2 places.

thanks fats - dont go to too much trouble - still trying to get the holiday ok'ed with work & lock down the frequent flyer flight - once thats done, then i'l know i'm definately coming \:\)

Have SHINSHU Bus from Nozawa Onsen to Nagano.

Phone: 0269-62-4131

http://w2.avis.ne.jp/~iiyama1/exnazawa2.htm

Have NAGANO Bus from Nagano to Hakuba.

Phone: 0261-72-3155(7:00-19:00)

http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/express/nagano_hakuba/index.html

e.g.

Nozawa Onsen 09:30 - 10:50 Nagano(East) (1,300 yen)

Nagano(East) 11:05 - 12:10 Hakuba (1,500 yen)

Interesting info for our trip planning, thanks. For us though it'll be a few days at one place, then moving on to the next. Hoping to hook up with some SJ fans to catch some lifts, er, be friends with them.