I've noticed on a few of the threads recently that some people have had things stolen from resorts or accommodation. Thought I'd start a thread to find out when, where and what has been stolen.

I'll go first:

when: 2 seasons ago

where: Hakuba Goryu (from behind Escal Plaza!!)

what: K2 board with brand spanking new Burton Mission bindings veryangry.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the kind of stuff I like to here. Having lived in Japan for a number of years I really admire the day to day honesty when it comes to personal property. That stolen board is the one and only time I've ever had a problem.

BTW SJF, I've had the same experience with my wallet!

a few weeks ago when I was at Kagura I lost my shink ticket on the mountain (stupid I know, it should've been in the locker), I only noticed when I was in the rest area getting changed, much swearing later this other Gaij guy from England asks what's wrong, I tell him, he then goes on to say that his board got stolen from outside the restaurant at lunch time!! omg I couldn't believe it, very unlike Japan. he went to talk with staff about it, they were sympathetic but couldn't do anything. His wife/girlfriend then went and asked the staff if anyone handed in my shink ticket and someone had, so lucky me got it back. Not so good for him though

Funny stuff XilR8!

However...

Last year, again at Goryu, after lunch my mate noticed that his board was missing. He went into panic mode and started running around searching and amazingly found a Japanese dude walking off with his stuff. The potential thief just pretended that he had grabbed the wrong board and there wasn't much my mate could do. Luckily for the Japanese guy it wasn't me who caught up with him (especially after what had happened the previous year)!

I'd like to believe that all Japanese are honest but that's just not the case. Lock up your gear!!

I think in some bars the whole jacket thing is often genuine mistakes. By the end of the night many people are less than at full capacity mentally and they get to the coat racks and there's like 20 or 30 jackets that are probably all starting to look much the same. A couple of years ago I know I left a bar, grabbed my jacket and only the next morning realised that it actually wasn't mine! I did go back to the bar to see if whoever had mine had returned it or if someone else reported missing theirs but the no one had. The new jacket was pretty good and fit fine so I stuck with that for the rest of the season and the next.

I once met a mate in Naoetsu after a day boarding in Myoko. I left my board on top of the lockers in the station at Naoetsu. It was still there three hours later when I came back. There's stuff happens crimewise in Japan, but never really to me, and not like in other countries I lived in.

Hopefully insurance covers some of the loss.

I lockup everywhere, sometimes even on the train when needed (but more Europe than Japan).

One week to go for me then off to Myoko & Shiga - is it snowing this week.

I would think that the Japanese people would not steal anything, because of their culture and respect for each other, but we also need to remember that Japan is visited by the rest of the world, where moral standards arent necessarily so reliable!!

A friend of mine had his ski pants stolen in an unlocked locker last year and some ski-jo in Gunma.

I remember reading on another message board from a ski resort in California a few years back some 300 snowboards were stolen on one weekend alone.