I try to ask clearly this question!

I am interested, for English speaking country (US, Canada, UK, Australia, etc) - is it easy for get along with each other.

Fore example, does US and Canada person get on better generally than US and UK person? I know it depending on person, but it is interesting for me.

I hope it make sense question!

Generally, the ease of communication means they get on OK. Often, however, the same language makes each think they all come from similar cultures, and can judge each other from their home country experience. I don't think these countries cut each other the same slack they do with people from cultures with a different language base regarding ideas and actions.

My partner's Australian (me brit), just got back from three weeks down under, and am very surprised how different Australian culture really is from British culture, despite the veneer of similarity.

my partner and I cut each other no slack for cultural differences, leading to some fantastic slanging matches. (being English, I thoroughly enjoy those moments)

Here goes, FWIW.

Canadians - I haven't met one who wasn't highly gregarious, very competent at something, balanced, with a lot of common sense and good humour.

New Zealanders - Haven't met one I didn't like yet. Like the Canadians but maybe more friendly and a tad less focused.

Australians - Mixed bunch. You win some, you lose some.

Have I forgotten anyone? Oh yes!

Americans - Thank you for leaving England. Not that I don't like you, but you can be very prickly and irrational sometimes.

English - Well, we started the game right?

hmmm...

here's my take...

kiwi's and aussies are always and have always been a pleasure to meet in my experience...anywhere I have ever traveled, they always seem the most laid back and willing and ready to chill with a beer...

canadians...thats a weird crew...I've met tons of cool canadians, and then tons that I just can't figure out...in a dorky weird way...

as for the brits...well, they always seem stand-offish to me...once they hear my accent, they usually don't want to have anything to do with me...my attempts at casual conversation never get that far, and I always end up feeling awkward and unwanted...but this is not the rule, I have met some wonderful people from the uk...and I am not one to generalize...

as for my fellow americans...some of us can be a bit loud and obnoxious at times, and those are usually the more visible ones that others base their opinions on...but we are a good bunch...not just some gun-slingin cowboys...and man are we glad we got off that island...

peace!

danz

Ditto on the Aussie/NZ thoughts - they're a popular bunch aren't they?

I tend to find Americans to be very forcefully opinionated (in normal doses not a bad thing of course) and much-more-than-averagely-proud of themselves - some kind of superiority thing going on if you ask me. Watching something like Fox news just confirms that.

Brits can seem still at first, but not underneath, and unlike the image I often hear.

French and Belgians are the nicest! \:\)

Of course, person by person, we shouldnt really talk in such general speak, should we!

Just my 2 euros.

I'm from the UK and have friends from all of the countries below. Best friend is from the UK, but got some gun-slinging US friends too - we get on just fine. As long as I keep the conversation to cowboy issues.

danz-- think you are totally on target for everyone except the brits- most of the ones i have met here have been fun partiers-- i've come across only a few of the quiet, reserved ones.

think getting along across nationalities depends more on personality than similiar vernacular or geographic closeness.

Aussies, NZers, Brits and Canadians all love to hate Americans - But my current Americans friends dont fit the Sterieotype - there are always so many exceptions to every generilisation.

Why dont Americans know about Geography?

Completely depends on the person. Pretty much all of the foreigners I have met in this country have been especially cool. Probably because we seem to share the same interests. Anyone willing to leave their home and come to a foreign land is bound to be more open minded.

Jared - what are you talking about Americans don't know geography. That is one of the dumbest generalizations I have heard.

About everyone hating Americans - when I meet someone new here they always ask if I am Canadian. So I just reply, no I'm American. I realized this is because If you ask an American if he is Canadian he will just politely say no. But if you ask a Canadian he if he is American you may get a stronger response.

i seem to get along with everyone!

Aussies - most of us seem to be pretty laid back, bu there are the odd bad apples - like everywhere i guess.

Canadians - like all the ones i've met so far!

Americans - half and half. half i have really liked and gotten along with very well indeed, but then a lot i have come across are pretty obnoxious and arrogant. plus they can be a bit loud and opinionated on the odd occasion.

NZ'ers - ditto with canadians.

Brits - dont mind them at all for the most part. i have met a couple who i really find annoying in one way or another.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Jared - that is so damned funny I'm crying cause I'm laughing so hard.

My take on the whole situation actually applies no matter the language (and to cop a "" from O11): You win some and you lose some. I've met some really cool people from all over the world, and some real assholes from all over the world.

The same as skiers and snowboards have their preconceived stereotypes about each other, so do people who live in other countries. On the bright side, the majority of the time you actually meet someone from the "other side", you find out they're a regular person just like you.

Tend to agree with Jared. Been many places and found (GENERALLY!!):

\:\) Aussies, Kiwi's & Canadians get on due to similar backgrounds - Commonwealth idealogies, etc.

\:\) Poms (English) - tend to sway between damn nice to damn whingers.

\:\) Septic Tanks (Yanks) - much the same as the English but some can be louder and not very 'up there' with current affairs outside their own bit of dirt - unless their bombing it, etc! (100 channels of TV and nothing to watch!)

\:\) As for Europeans ..... who the @#%* are they?!

One obvious point though - a lot of Yanks don't really catch on to our (Commonwealth) sense of subtle humour. It's been many tiresome times where explanations were necessary!

(The other Commonwealth countries like to hassle us Aussies about our non 'free settler'convict background, but it's all in good fun.)

PS: To all the Poms out there, too bad about the football (soccer), huh?! (Haaa!) \:D

Hope that helps, Echineko.

Later,

SZ.