there are bears around our cottage in canada. im bear-a-phobic.

my two cousins were walking home from school and there was a grizzly bear sitting in the drive way (about a 1km gravel road) they called the forestry and wildlife people and they caught it using KFC as bait.

we are talking about bears the animal right?!

no, he is talking about those overweight hairy middle aged gay men that wear bumless leather pants and those black leather caps. Oh, and dont forget the big moustache and the studded leather straps crossing their, you guessed it, hairy chest.

Bears phuuh...now what about Sharks! now there is an animal that commands respect. Sharks are the undisputed King of predators. I have a lot of time for sharks, db mate being a surfer I imagine they give you the heebies but I am a scuba diver and I am not scared of them as much, its pretty cool to dive with them, maybe not a Great white mind you.

gws1.jpg

I surf and dive - sharks are amazing creatures. I'm not as scared by them as a probably should be. One of my local spots has a resident shark that hangs around every now and again. Having been in with it several times i think has made me a bit casual.

A Great White would be another story......

it's cool when you are diving and you know there are sharks in the area bc you're scared to see one, but also really want to. it's like a mission to spot the biggest, baddest one. don't know if yall remember about a year and a half ago there were a few shark attacks in the us--- one was where i'm from- virginia beach. a little boy was bitten just playing in the wave break and died. really sad.

some old dude was eaten - while the cafe breakfasters looked on - at a a city beach back home 2 years ago.

i think im more freaked by land based humanivores though... a tiger had a go at me from the other side of a wire fence (with good reason though, i add - i wanted a photo without the wire fence in ) and i felt kinda little and food-like.

in honour of the thread... a bear would be mighty scary too. some can be pretty big and hairy with untrimmed nails. but i would have to say i like bears.

I was petrified of sharks until I started scuba diving. Mind you had a few moments when I sucked about 2 bars of air due to the shit out there.

Bears dont worry me too much, although loads of stories from the people round here. If the snow melts slowly the bears come out of hibernation and look for food. If its covered in snow they go into peoples houses in the mtns. woah eek.gif And theres a few people with scars on their faces etc. I went mushroom picking a few years ago and they said bring a bell to put on your basket as to not startle the bears. Freaky.

But what really scares the crap out of me is monkeys. They are so unpredictable and give me the heebie jeebies something chronic. Anyone else in the same boat? Mind you doesnt stop me taking people to the ones in the onsen in Yamanouchi. Nice to scare yourself sometimes eh.

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
I I went mushroom picking a few years ago
The magical kind? ;\) \:D

Monkeys don't really worry too much, but i've never had a bad encounter with them.

My brother got chased and attacked by an emu once. Funny as hell to watch, but he isn't too fond of them anymore.

We were picking all sorts but the dudes I was with pointed out the ones in cow dung and said "special mushrooms. Take you to another world" with big arm circling motions.

We went back a few days later and collected the special mushrooms but wussed out and didnt eat them. That was when you could buy them in shops though so no real need to eat random psylocybes. I reckon nekobi woulda eaten them though!

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:

But what really scares the crap out of me is monkeys. They are so unpredictable and give me the heebie jeebies something chronic. Anyone else in the same boat? Mind you doesnt stop me taking people to the ones in the onsen in Yamanouchi. Nice to scare yourself sometimes eh.
monkeys are vile. we have a resident monkey that occasionally comes off the golf course next door around the boarding house. they are really viscious. i remember seeing monkeys at the monkey temple in nepal and they would steal things off people.

pigeons and seagulls are also disgusting. although harmless, very disgusting nonetheless. kind of the rats of the sky i think.

I don't mind sharks in the day time, hate them at night while I'm spear fishing. I don't know how far north they go, but Japan has great whites too - there was a 5m, 1500kg one caught less than a mile from where we used to do a lot of night diving in Okinawa.

Hearing whales while diving is pretty cool too...

No doubt db - I've always said the day I see a great white while diving AND make it back to shore in one piece is the day I give up diving. I would like to go down to Dangerous Reef though and do some cage diving. That would be awesome. If only I had a spare $10,000 laying around (plus air fare)...

Quote:
Originally posted by RayInJapan:

Hearing whales while diving is pretty cool too...
Mate is there anything you havent done? Id love to sit down with a beer or 5 with you and have a chat! Where was the diving with whales? That is cool

In Okinawa - the whales come by this time of year. Even when you can't see them, you can hear their singing from miles away underwater...I see whale meat in the japanese fish markets and it bothers me. I refuse to try it though I've been told its really good.

"Anything I haven't done" - I haven't ridden a snowmobile yet. I'd like to try that someday. And I haven't been to the Far East(Europe)yet. I've always wanted to visit Normandy, France. And also New Zealand and Aussie land.

One of the coolest things I think I've done is swim in the Atlantic Ocean, the Panama Canal, and then the Pacific Ocean all in the same day. The only place you can swim in 2 major oceans the same day without flying. I can definitely say I've lived a blessed life, been very very fortunate. I hope the next 40 years goes just as good...

Having a beer sounds good - or soju in my case...I haven't had a good drunk in a long time...I think its about time for one...