My $2 kmart black and white thongs are now paper thin and are the comfiest piece of footwear I own. I wear them everywhere. They go with everything from boardies to jeans and they give me chance to show off my pretty handsome feet ;\) I am hoping they last a few more years though because breaking in new thongs is a real task. Admittedly not as bad as girls with those pointy high-heeled numbers but certainly a few blisters worth.

I once was not let into a beachside pub because the bouncer told me I was wearing what he referred to as "jandals". Can you believe that? I didnt understand what he meant until he pointed to my feet... and I thought that must be what NZers call thongs. I had a chat with the guy and he taught me a few other NZ expressions such as a "chilly bin" and the "wholesaler". Had a good old chuckle.

Yeah and the worst thing about breaking them in is there are a few random pairs that never get comfy and give you blisters until you throw the bastards away. Hate that.

The best pair I had were some lime green slip ons with a yellow flower on top. They were about 2cm thick and as light as a feather. Could easily walk 500 miles in those babies. I got them in Vietnam for a buck or 2 and liked them so much I bought a second pair when I went back. But alas now both pairs have died. RIP lime sandals \:\(

It looks pretty good Ocean but I don't think it's for me. I have thought about it in the past as Osaka is flat and perfect for getting around on a longboard. Yours sounds like more of a downhill racing machine and I'm too much of a wimp the wrong side of 30 to be wanting to deal with ashphelt branding.

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:

The best pair I had were some lime green slip ons with a yellow flower on top. They were about 2cm thick and as light as a feather. Could easily walk 500 miles in those babies. I got them in Vietnam for a buck or 2 and liked them so much I bought a second pair when I went back. But alas now both pairs have died. RIP lime sandals \:\(
i bought a pair of black pleather sort of dressier sandals in vietnam. all i can say is never again. i wore them once out at night and came home with huge blisters on my feet and they were so bad they were bleeding. stuck around for about 3 weeks aswell, left about a 2 inch scar on each foot aswell. good thing they broke on the way home so i could chuck them.

ShowS8.asp?M=274799&F=t28BC2CF9-FD22-4FDC-B58B-B1463105424C.jpg

check out these bad boys.....got em at the 100yen shop, supersoft rubber and durable too, mind you you have to careful not to pull the toe piece clean through the sole on the cheap ones

sorry Mikazooki no offence intended with ozzies, its just we say "I am going to Oz" so ozzie is a natural extension.

is "ocker" ok?

anyway here is the perfect smilie for the spirit of this post! pyth.gif

my thongs are from china bought in bangkok. on kao san road black soled flip flops were at the height of fashion, and no respectable retailer would part with a pair for less than just over A$2 equivalent. i'll grant u they r primo footware, but when i could get a comparable pair in oz for at most $1.90 from target (better than the crap they try to off load in coles :p ) i was somewhat taken aback. nonetheless i paid the premium and have enjoyed them a lot.

also got into some of the white vietnamese sandals, after seeing how well they handled mountainous terrain. unfortunately these sandals, and the thai flip flops both proved subpar in muddy conditions, where i (reluctantly for once) resorted to bare feet hiking.

further thongage storylines worth sharing is that my standup 1999 vintage flip flop (possibly from coles) were left on the doorstep of a friend on my last but one trip away. when i returned 2 years later the very same items were still present, habing been used as emergency footware for all and sundry on no few occassions by appearances. i then reclaimed them, and they did another summer, finally acting to protect the rusting roof of a landcruiser from the invasion of a bent roof rack. my word, a thong is a trusty side kick indeed.

The Coles thongs aren't the greatest thongs, but for $0.90, how can you go wrong!! They don't get worn all that much anymore, I've got another pair! Not from Coles though.

But i've had the Coles thngs for about 5 or 6 years now and they are still going strong. Love it.

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
Anyone else here actually like a good pair of shoes? I enjoy being without them too, but...
yep. I do. I purposely have different lifestyles that require different footwear (and dress in general). If you are the superficial type that judges a person on appearance alone, then you would judge me very differently depending on what day you met me and what I was doing. When I feel like it or the situation is appropriate, I enjoy being able to wear good shoes. Likewise I enjoy dirty hot bare feet. I miss not having an easily accessible lifestyle that allows me to wear no shirt, no shoes and get burnt shoulders. But that is not Tokyo's offering.

more on the jandals. Apparantly some nz guy come to japan quite a while ago and seen those wooden sandals that they have here. When he went home he created the rubber version and called them "Japan sandals" or for short "jandals." Some geeky academic type sounding fellow on radio NZ told me.