Quote:
Originally posted by nagoid:
Smelly?

Well at least the Japanese taxis aren't smelly.

And they do have those lovely fancy table cloth pattered covered things on them. Aren't they nice?
Smelly! I beg to differ! many of them wreek of ciggie smoke, god I hate the stench of cigarettes, I try to get a cab with a non smoking driver if I can, if the dude is smoking in his cab when I approach then I would rather walk.
Cigarettes suck, which reminds I need to start a new thread.....
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Yeah, it's really hard bringing yourself to tip any NY cabbie for the 'service'
i had a great ny cabbie who really deserved his big tib. he drove me from the airport to my friend's apt. i had just arrived from japan with had 2 heavy bags which he helped me carry. when i got to the apt it was around 10 at night. it was the kinda neighborhood you wouldnt want to hang around in, especially as a femail alone with luggage. no one answered the buzzer and the cabbie let me use his phone to try to contact my friend and offered to wait around with me for him to arrive. he was nice.

One of my bosses seems to have no second thoughts about taking an over 5000 yen taxi home almost every night. He could use a train for a tenth of that (admittedly taking a fair bit more time).

As part of my job I once had to get the taxi once a week for a 20 minute ride. It cost 13000 yen there and back, a complete waste of money made even worse by the fact that I could have got a lift off some of the employees that were going in both directions from one place to the other every day. But no, I had to take the taxi to be official (or something?!)