Not very exciting topic, but what time does your post (mail) come? Ours always seems to be so erratic. Some days at 9am, some days as late as 4pm. Just wondering if this is normal here.

Back home its a "post at breakfast" every day.

crippey! you know what time the mail comes?!

I don't even remember to check the mail each night as I walk past the mail box. when I do (perhaps weekly) it is crammed with junkmail and bills anyway.

Now, if I do not know when the mail comes and can't even remember to check my own mail, how the hell am I supposed to remember what night different garbage is supposed to be put out and what it should be contained in.

This morning I was head of the post office for a day! Go on ask me about mail. Mine gets delivered around midday sometime, but today I met the dude that sorts my mail, the guy that delivers it, saw the bike he rides and basket he carries and then stood in the lobby greeting customers and had a billion cups of tea with the old geezers while the commented on how tall I was... what an interesting job I have!

Did you get to rifle through the mail taking out anything that looked like it might have cash or credit cards in it? You could have got the old guys to help you - I bet they can recognize the sorts of envelope used.

Quote:
Originally posted by grungy-gonads:
So tell me zwelgen...you know when we send mail overseas - who gets the cash from the stamps and how is split between Japan PO and overseas PO (as both are involved).
Mine its all MINE. Whoever is postmaster gets the cash for the day, why else do you think I leave for an overseas holiday tonight? ;\)

Seriously good question though, Ill ask my boys at the P.O. for ya. And Ocean surprisingly most of the people handling the mail were on the young side. Maybe people smarten up and realise that its a shit job (hope Im not offending anyone or their parents with that comment)

Before we start worrying her pretty little head, here's my input on this.

I used to teach Commerce and according to what I remember in teaching the Postal Section of the Communications module, here's how it works.

Each country sets their own postal rates and gets to keep practically all of it. If I send a letter to Japan from Hong Kong and Enderzero sends one back to me, my stamp money goes all to the Hong Kong Post Office and Ender's goes all to the Japanese counterpart. My stamp costs less than Ender's stamp because the operating costs of the postal system in Hong Kong are cheaper than those of Japan. All countries work on a system of "reciprocity" (I can spell it, just don't ask me to say it). i.e. Japan delivers Hong Kong's mail for them and in return Hong Kong delivers Japan mail from them in their own countries. So it works because half my cheaper stamp is to pay for my letter until it reaches Japan and the other half is to pay for the delivery cost of the expected return letter when it reaches Hong Kong.

This is fine if the amount of mail going to and from two countries balance out each other. In cases, where there is a significant disparity (e.g. if Hong Kong's mail to Japan is consistently 10% more than that coming to Hong Kong from Japan), Hong Kong will have to pay Japan a set rate for this difference, usually calculated on the weight of the difference and the type of service (express, parcel...etc). There is a pre-agreed formula for this and this agreement usually lasts a few years after which high-ranking officials of each country will engage in "tariff negotiations" to renew and update them.

Don't really know, Ocean, but my guess is that the Japanese Immigration and Customs are pretty lax. Look how they let a SARS-infected-Markie come freely into Japan, roam about and leave at will!

B.T.W., stay clear of Tokyo, Nagano and Arai, they're gonna get it first, two weeks later, the whole of Honshu will have it and all Japan within a month!

Our postie normally comes in the arvo between 1pm and 5 pm.

Our postie recently got changed and the new one bitched and moaned that she couldn't see the letter box or the number on the house. No has had a problem in over 15 years. She said she wouldn't deliver our mail unless we replaced the letter box and put on a new number. Total bullsh!t.