This guy didn't like his name.

Man beheads himself in supermarket

May 8 2003

A 31-year-old South African man walked into a supermarket, picked up a power saw and decapitated himself in front of shocked shoppers, police said yesterday.

The incident happened in the port town of Richards Bay on the KwaZulu-Natal north coast.

Eyewitnesses said the man had appeared calm as he marched up to the meat counter, where he switched on a meat saw and placed his head under it.

Staff and shoppers had no time to react.

Superintendent Jay Naicker said the Shoprite Checkers store in Richards Bay had been ready to close on Monday when the man wandered in and headed for the meat department.

"He just walked in, went to the bandsaw machine and switched it on," Naicker told Reuters.

"Apparently he knew what he was doing. He put his neck to the blade and it cut about half way through before he fell to the floor."

Naicker said the man, later identified as 31-year-old Emmanuel Gumbi, was pronounced dead at the scene.

He did not leave a suicide note and according to his family he was not suffering from depression.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some consideration should be given to how the name is going to be pronunced. My wife has a less than usual name and no one ever got it right. As a child it was a constant source of embarrisment when every new teacher got it horribly wrong. She was even told she was saying it wrong by a teacher "it wouldent be spelled like that if it was ment to be said like that".

That said there are plenty of options other than ken and hannah.

If you want a western name choose a famous one as most jp ppl are familier with them.

Jared, even worse than mispronunciation of my name was the way my elementary, middle and upper school teachers all called me by my older brother's name.

He was something of a brain and they remembered him. So I was naturally "Mark" as well.

I guess I was about as memorable to them as chopped liver or a potted plant.

Sheesh.

I went to high school in the states with one of my japanese buddies... His name is Yusuke, but every class i've ever been in with him, teachers called him either "yoosook" or "yoosookee." Everyone including all his friends ended up calling him "Yuskee." Even to this day he still introduces himself to english speakers as "Yuskee." It's gotta suck to have people mangle your name up your entire life. No wonder there are so many half-kids with the names Ken and Hana running around.

Thanks for that db...you do find the strangest stories.

I have a completely original name and I have actually never met anyone with the same name. I have heard stories of people, but I imagine if I actually came face to face with the same spelling and all we would both immediately cease to exist.

But I do not identify my name with a particular origin, or country. It is definitely not japanese as no one here can say it right, but in school I never had any problems with mispronunciation. It is just me, and I think this has given me a particularly strong sense of identity.

There is something particularly cool about a name with Kanji for it, though. Plus the fact that Kai=Ocean for Indo, something particularly important to him and his wife is extra special (my mom once told me she was connected to the earth="land" although my father disputes it). Plus Kai is an all around cool sounding name.

There are a ton of factors that go into it. Something I will have to strongly consider if/when the time comes, with my wife (an added factor).

So Ocean, quit the secretive act, what's your kid's name?

BTW, my name is Ryland.

I think Kai11 would have been a better choice of name for Indosnm Jr.

Our boy is called 陽向. That's Hinata, and it means 'facing the sunshine'. Sunny little bugger he is. \:\)

cheers endo!

Ocean Hinata is a cool name, I have a little girl 4 yo by the same name.

Sometimes it depends on the child as to wether you like the name. eg. I have a little shit in one of my classes and as a result of him being a prick that name is not a name that I like because of my experiences with him!

Just like the "sexiest girls name" thread, in that case it was wether she was a good stoinkle as to wether you like the name or not!? lol.gif

What a 'fantastic' sense of humour you have.

I think I made it clear that I didn't think any particular name in itself was lame - and that what I found cliched and unimaginative was choosing what amounts to a default setting for half kids. Personally, having seen the type of parents that do that, I pity the children. They'd have been totally screwed and put out if they hadn't managed to produce one of each sex.

Now, having actually made a coherent statement myself, I'd be interested to hear what you think is lame about the name we chose, unless of course you want to limit your participation to that 'na-nah-na-naah-na' sort of posting.

Hey, Ocean11 - cheers!

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear what you think is lame about the name we chose
Well, if you want to know...

It sounds crap for a start, and sounds rather pretentious too. Definitely not 'default', hey? - congrats!

I gotta say that i really like your name ender. Very cool, especailly with your surname as well. It just seems to roll off the tongue. To be honest the first time i saw it i actually thought it was a fake name or alias that you used!

My birth name is slightly different from the name that i have used for the last 3 or 4 years. My parents still call me by full or 'proper' name but other than that everyone else uses my shortened name. When i decided to make the switch my mother in particular was a bit upset about it. Unstanderably so i guess. I dont think i'd be too happy if it happened to me.

Hinata? You've mustered out the male equivelant of Yoko! Original! "I don't call any name in itself lame....except ken and hana..they're cliche....blah blah blah." - Ocean. It might be a sentimental/extremely personal issue for some what to name a child. It could be damn right very personal what you call your own kid. How do you feel about.."I think Hinata is a stupid ass name. Sell out. Didn't take much thought to come up with that name.....? Anyboy living under the sun could be a Hinata..."...You see, names are personal and not just as you say "cliched, unimaginative..a default setting" issue! It really doesn't matter if there are a million or one Hinata's. Dissing a kid's name is lame.

Kintaro, calm down old son. It really doesn't matter what I think (although clearly I'm not the only one who thinks K&H is passe). We called our kid a name that pleased us, and couldn't give a toss what anybody else thinks of it. I'm sure you'll do the same...

That's been my point. Names aren't lame. They are names. I'm the one that brought up Hana on this thread..honestly not even knowing it's a popular "half Kid" name. In Hawaii it's a semi-popular name that my wife and I liked and that's why I mentioned it. I don't know why you hate the Kens of the world....who know's...maybe on an old/different thread there's a group that don't like Hinata's. I think they are lame too!