Caution - old biddies on bikes and cars

I nearly ran over an 80 year old woman riding her bike this afternoon. She was swerving a bit and then suddenly - without warning - went into the middle of the road to turn right. The car coming the other way almost knocked her down too.

And you know, she didnt know anything was up, just going on about her bizness. eek.gif

Watch out for 'em!

dont even get me started on the old women who dont have the abilty to turn their heads and look before they bowl out in the street. I have narrowly avoided and swooped within inches of scores of them on my cycle. Hopefully it'll scare of few of them into looking next time

What happens if you knock an old biddie down who has blatently not been looking and suddenly made a move?

I can imagine in Japan that the driver is always at fault, whatever the circumstances.

Anyone with any experience on this kind of thing.

Do you think insurance is expensive here? I pay about $1200 US a year for fully comp. insurance, which, for the vehicle I have, (4WD 2.8L TD RV nearly new) must be loads less than the UK.

They are a danger back home too.

Back in blighty, this old codger nearly killed me when he was driving along the main road with his left indicator on. I was on a side road wanting to cross the main road, and figured he was going to turn into my road. so i went out and crossed the road, only for him to just completely not turn left and carry straight on! Somehow that screwed another car too and we both went mental at the old guy who just carried on driving up the road with his indicator flashing away.

Surely when we get older we should have to repeat the driving test more often? Its just common sense that we dont want senile people using dangerous high speed vehicles.

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
Do you think insurance is expensive here? I pay about $1200 US a year for fully comp. insurance, which, for the vehicle I have, (4WD 2.8L TD RV nearly new) must be loads less than the UK.
and you will find that the FULL COMP insurance that you pay won't pay you out fully when you have an accident, or that its not actually FULL as you think!

we were paying about 8k a month, crashed car...we'll be sweet... It was only third party! someone got a grilling for that!

In oz i ws rating 1.
its impossible almost to have the highest rating here.

and back on subject.. old biddies should be locked up like we do at home!

Gotta read the fine print. I forced the insurance lass to explain every point several times, then got a company secretary to check it again, checked with several different companies, didn't settle for the cheapest, but the one with the most ironclad insurance. The insurance I have covers for pretty much everything, they not only pay for a replacement vehicle (at a set price, above market value) they also pay for registration fees, etc. It also includes full roadside assistance.

Most companies offer a cheaper 'fully comp' which isn't actually quite that, especially concerning pissed old biddies that leap outta hedges at you....

Of course, i've never had an accident, so it's all theoretical...

Watch out indeed! I got ran over by an 80 year old women. She didn't ring her bell, nothing, just straight into my leg. I was more concerned for her, of course! (she was OK...she sped off like a 70 year old \:\) ) Anyway, as I've mentioned b/f I also got ran over by a car driven by an old guy. I drive everywhere now and always look both ways b/f I cross the street!!! eek.gif

Don't you love the ring ring RING!!! you here from a bicycle behind you while walking down the sidewalk? Oh how I miss that. \:\)