I agree.

By playing a lot of role playing games as a kid, I reckon I learned a lot of stuff, such as how to economise and strip things down to the minimum that I need, how to juggle several problems at once etc. Its hard to explain, but it helped me with problem solving.

The cynic...

A scientific study (conducted by two scientists sponsored by nintendo) concluded ...

Interesting, but the tests they were put through were computer simulations, not real life situations, definitely skewing the results in favor of computer aided visual recognition.

I'm sure, however, that a limited amount of game playing has benefits, why else would people get trained in simulators for jobs...

What the test does nothing to answer are points regarding the amount one needs to play to improve visual perception or whether the benefits are long term. (is an hour a week ok, do the effects fade if you stop playing).

I think games have gotten sophisticated to the point that some offer benefits beyond "visual attentional processing". Driving and flight simulators nowadays have very realistic physics engines, so for example if you were to get behind the controls of a plane after playing a flight simulation game, you would have a rough idea of how a plane controls in the air.

Also, the US govt funded the development of a free PC game called America's Army. It's used mainly as a recruiting tool for the army, but the interesting thing about it is that it's a fairly realistic combat simulator. I read an article about the game which had an interview with one of the generals responsible for the military consulting for the game, and he said that players were behaving like trained soldiers. Working in groups together, using complex strategies and tactics that the army teaches. Freaky...

I think so, I mean youve got to be developing something. Its like those magic eye things, the first time it takes ages and ages to see the thing and then your eyes get trained and you can pick it out easy. Gotta be like that. I reckon reaction times have got to be improved (good for driving and other things) and that even simple stuff like frogger helps you (dodging people on the ski field). And strategy games are good (remember lemmings and you had to sort stuff out) putting pieces of clues together (where in the world is carmen sandiego) etc

As you can see I dont play computer games much! 2 weeks of immobility (ie 2 weeks of play station) 3 years ago put the end to that! \:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
The cynic...

What the test does nothing to answer are points regarding the amount one needs to play to improve visual perception or whether the benefits are long term. (is an hour a week ok, do the effects fade if you stop playing).
not cynical... just well considered.

many people will take home the wrong message about this article.

an even article would have concluded with your points.

well they retested them after training them for an hour a day for 10 days and they got a better score. so i guess even that little amount of training is what you need to improve. I am sure they'll do more studies to get the more advanced answers you want.

I still can't do those magic eye things!!!! Man its frustrating!! I've tried every damn method and i just can't do them!! Damn it!

I feel like that dude from "Mallrats" who can't see the sailboat. I think his name is Callum or something. I feel for him, poor bastard.........

Dont worry Freaky, youll get it. If you can try it crosseyed sometimes you get the gist.

Sorry to rub it in but those are damn cool. They publish new ones every week in the paper I get, but I dont think they are as good as the ones in the book.

ganbatte!

they are so amazing. i havent done one for ages, but its amazing when your eyes focus in on them by themselves and it all becomes clear. 'magic' indeed! \:\)