a question for all of you in the know...

how does unemployment work here in japan?? I have some nihon-jin friends that seem to live off gov't unemployment checks for at least a few months from each year...

can a gaijin collect these checks too?? just curious....

danz

they don't treat me to anything \:\(

it would be nice if they treated me to dinner every now and then...after all, I am diversifying the predominantly japanese population in my town \:D

danz

Danz, what's your visa status? It depends. For example, if you've got a sponsor, a wife, a working holiday visa, permenant residence, etc. AND the terms of losing your employment. It's most likely the same as for a Japanese citizen..max 6 months per claim. Perhaps your question is in general, but if you've got a specific I can help.

If your company collects employment insurance from your salary, you can receive dole payments.

It doesn't matter, you are foreigner or Japanese, I think.

Apparently you can only claim once.

and you usually have to wait a few months to collect. (6mths maybe)

Would love to know if you get it rather than a NO youre a gaijin!

Claim once I dont think thats true. Wait 6 monthes I know thats not true. I joined a Union to get some buddies of mine sorted out. Both got UI They got their first checks within a month. Both were gaijin males. You can get free training from the UI office also. average monthes salary is 150000 depending on age time of service etc. Its one of the if you pay it you can get things.

You have to wait 7 days to get it danz. If you've been working at the same place for 3 years, you get about 60% of your salary for about 3 months. The maximum length of time is 9 months I believe.

When you change prefecture, you go back to square one. I've been working in Japan for 11 years paying insurance the whole time, but as I was only in Naggers for 3 years before I claimed dole, I only got 3 months worth. I seem to remember reading about how Oda Nobunaga unified the country in the 16th century, but he didn't bring the goddamn dole system into line.

I don't believe in unemployment benefits being that high. It tempts people to not even try to work. They should be very very low, just so someone can live - and give them strong incentive to get out there and find work.