I'd like to know if I to should start calling it soccer, I've held out pretty well so far. However I have slipped up a few times......so please spare a moment to put me out of my misery.

You'll never be misunderstood with soccer. Football has become a localized term, be it Aussie rules, cotton wool rugby, or the original football from ol' blightey.

Fattwins, that's what I took naked darts on ice to mean...

your poll might as well say:

I am from:

1 - America or Japan

2 - Anywhere else in the world.

3 - S****horpe, England.

edited to say:

thats "s c u n t h o r p e"

Kintaro, is that 'American rugby' you're referring to there? Funny how the yanks take a perfectly good game like tag or rounders, dress the players up in all sorts of protective gear, then trade stats as if all that mattered is numbers...

lol.gif

Fattwins, I did kind of leave the Naked Darts on Ice as the 'i don't care option' I remeber watching it on cable once, it was hilarious!

And Bobby, the Aussies call it soccer too.

Why do American Football players wear all those pads and a bloody helmet?? AND why do they have ONE guy whose only job it is to hold the ball when it's kicked or why just one guy to do only the kicking??? confused.gif

I don't see the All Blacks, Wallabies or any other rugby union/league team wearing any significant padding.

Plus you've got Aussie Rules, they jump on each other, and wear nothing but vests and tight shorts.

My friends who've played rugby claim that people are tackled in such a way as to minimize direct impact hits (ie they're "pulled down"). Is it true?

American Football, on the other hand, features more head-on-head collisions at jarring speeds, thus the need for girly pads. This is not meant as a statement that American Football is "better" or "tougher" than rugby...it's just different.

As far as Aussie rules goes though, those guys are just crazy. What's with the short-shorts? Too many banana hammocks for my liking...

Ocean, there is no such thing as American rugby. But prey allow a Yank to teach you dear boy... You're trying to be a prick again..trying to belittle the sport we call football in America. What a brave lad you are. You don't need pads? I played middle linebacker in high school. Although you usually need 11 players per side...if you fancy a 'crash' lesson on how to play I'll gladly teach you why pads are needed. I'm not Bob Sapp but my 230 will probably educate you fast. Then we can compare stats if it fancies you, old boy.

Tag? Did you say tag? Let me scroll above..you DID!! you said tag lol.gif Played it when we were 5...pad free, I assure you, old boy. Rounders....never heard of it. Sounds like a girl game or a Keiffer Sutherland movie..?? Must be lovely though. A game mum would surely approve of. Bloody good fun is it?

BTW, I like soccer. got into it this past World Cup. Will be going to Germany for the next WC..

In American Football, receivers run blind routes - straight ahead for 10 yards, then to one side looking back at the quarterback for the pass. This leaves them exposed to and unexpecting the hits that come from behind. A fair number of head injuries came as a result of these blind routes in the early days of American Football, so the players were given helmets.

Pads protect vital areas, but actually allow the players to hit the other players much harder than what you see in other sports - just compare a tape of American Football`s greatest hits with Rugby or any other sport (Including martial arts for that matter). With guys flying 2-3 meters through the air, head-first to hit other guys in their heads or chests, it becomes apparent that these guys hit the hardest.

As for the name soccer vs. football - it is officially the FIFA or whatever, but soccer just takes all of the confusion out of it for day to day conversation.

The game the NFL plays is plain stupid dangerous half the time. guys at 300 bs of beef all be it juiced sometimes. ramming at full speed the life span of an nfl plaer is like 55 years of age.

different sports call for different boy types. a lineman in the nfl would never mak an auzzie rules team. a mobile 250 to 300 pound guy could get into a rugby squad but how long would his knees hold out?

Football\soccer plaers tend to be short around 170 to 180 cms tall a low center of gravity is the key. Ice hockey in the NHL looks more like the NBA than the skills game it once was. THe probwith hockey is that once the teams invest in players they want their return. Its hard to go backwards.

Whats in a name really. I love soccer these days I will stay up and watch the france game tonight now thats for the love of the game.

"The game the NFL plays is plain stupid dangerous half the time"......is the other half of the game plain smart and safe??

55? Are you high!!! just an inquiry..

Quote:
Originally posted by barok:
With guys flying 2-3 meters through the air, head-first to hit other guys in their heads or chests, it becomes apparent that these guys hit the hardest.

Don't you mean 'bounce around the most' ;\)

Sensitive lot, these Americans... I guess there wasn't room on the Mayflower for a barrel of humour or two...

couldnt link to these maybe you guys can.

http://www.dogpile.com/_1_2146UDN02KD3RV...tart=&ver=26198

Studies done are varried the average age of a lineman in the NFL is pretty low. before 1994 the studies say the average age is around 55. studies these days say there is no way to tell what the juice has done for a good number aof years.

Kintaro Im not high.

Yeah Scouse, thats really awful about Marc Vivien Foe..... \:\(

As for Geomon's comments, sorry mate, your friends are talking dog poo. Don't try and tell me Rugby League players avoid contact! Watch just one game and it'll change ur mind.

As for Rugby Union, it has less direct impact that RL or NFL, but take into account rucking, srummaging and muals and there you've a whole world of pain. ALL of these sports are dangerous and rough.

The pads in NFL do allow harder hits, but they still look like pansies!! Gloves and Helmets indeed...plus there's abou 40 of the guys and they change the whole team every 5 minutes :p