"The RIAA - whose members include AOL Time Warner, Vivendi Universal, Sony, Bertelsmann and EMI - says it will target the heaviest users of song-swapping services."

I wonder how much sophistication they'll bring to that effort - swapping under a different name every few weeks may be enough to fool them (as they haven't been very smart about their other repressive measures).

And anyway, most of the songs don't exactly come with a copyright notice on them do they (although some of them do)? I wonder if anybody has considered that defence.

RIAA is sad sad because they are not keeping up to date on technology and how consumers use that technology...it is becomming more and more obvious that consumers want their music in a format other than cd/lp/tape...web-sites that offer music downloads FOR MONEY are becomming more commonplace, and are doing quite well (look at apples new music site...)...

RIAA will only alienate consumers by being such hard asses...they are showing no creativity, no concern for consumers, and no real solution to "the problem"...lawsuits is not going to put an end to file-sharing...

danz

These record companies seem to be inviting a boycot of their CDs. It shouldn't be too hard to organize a boycot, say for a month in December, if they keep harassing p2p peeps and don't adjust their bizmod to account for new patterns.

Anyone else noticed how more and more new albums seem to be getting "bonus" DVDs attached to them. That Metallica album got a whole live performance of the whole album with the CD. (Pity the music is a pile of poo)!

\:D

the impression i get is that you are only going to become a problem if you are sharing files. so disable sharing and download all you want and let the nice people you are "stealing" off take the heat.

I dont think its as simple as changing your name ocean. They will use your ip address then try and get your real name out of your internet service provider. From what I understand, the new legeslation in the US allows record companies to force the isp's to give them your info. I have no idea what the privicy law situation is here. It might be just a problem for US users.

If they are only going after the worst offenders I dont think we have anything to worry about there are ppl online with 80gig hard drives full of stuff to share that I think will be targeted first.

That's a good point jared, I wonder if it is only in the US? If so, it's a typically parochial response to a World Wide Web phenomenon. (How many times have I filled in an online registration form that asks me for my country and then won't let me proceed unless I have supplied a US zip-code... doh!)

If they want to instill fear across all users, then they'll sue the broadest segment possible, including people who share only 100 files.

The problem with the RIAA is that they have had their heads up their arses for the past 10 years. They ignored people when they complained back in the 90's that $20.00 is unreasonable for a new CD, they ignored the rise in popularity of the Mp3 format, then they ignored the rise of p2p (peer to peer) until it was way too late. P2p has never inherently been a perfect way to get music. There's always been bum files, mislabeled files, and low quality recordings. People would definitely be willing to pay reasonable prices for legitimate hi quality downloadable music. Apple is almost on the right track, but $1 per song is still consumer rape IMO. If the RIAA was any smarter, they would have came up with a service with reasonably priced music (...lets say 25 cents a song), and people would have flocked to it, putting napster/kazza/etc. out of popularity. Instead they chose to wage war against consumers (e.g. we will sue you into spending money on our product).

A buddy of mine got fingered and got a letter from the RIAA telling him to cease and decist or some BS like that. This was some 6 months ago and he was just using WinMX at the time I believe. They don't take legal action right away (although with this new campaign...). I definitely wouldn't worry about it outside the US.

What am I saying...I don't worry about it in the US.

I also had a friend running an ftp server with 100 gigs worth of mp3s, who got a cease and desist letter from the RIAA through his ISP. I wonder if you'd have problems hosting an mp3 server outside the US though...

Location definitely matters, it's what keeps Kazaa alive and out of range from US prosecutors. Sharman Networks (owners of Kazaa) the corporation, is registered in the South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu. Their servers are in Denmark, the software is written in Estonia, and kazaa.com is registered in Australia. It all adds up to one super-shady corporation, but they're still around...

I don't know what implications there are exactly for hosting mp3's on servers outside US borders though...

• 1 month later...

of just install some free software to hide your id and stops ppl searching your shared file while allowing you to continue sharing that is freely available from download.com. thats a long sentence.