if your interested and your better half skis he is selling old pow boards 150cms 104 waist for 50 bucks. Great deal for big powder days. If you contact the guy he will tell you when the next shipment comes in.

As for powder style toque Im aggressive. I like to charge down throwing the skis im big slashes for speed checks or laying it out for the money shot. So I like a mid to stiff ski.

Thats what I like about the gear these days so many choices you can find a great match. before pow boards were just detuned Gs race skis 200cms plus which meant that most ski companies made almost the same stuff.

Yuki Im not a big fan of the Ak Rockets I just dont like the shape. If it was twinned it would give Salomon another toy but these days the Sally range is lacking huge. The Pocket rockets are still a great ski along with the cross max and the 1080s. But for the rest of the range I dont see them improving much.

I like the way k2 and volkl are going by the way they are now one company owned by K2. They are really pushing the skis in different directions. I also like that Atomic has thrown away the intergrated binders too damn heavy and pricy.

Dynastar is making a great ski the legend series looks sick the shapes are always great for cranking highspeed GS turns.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuki has the AK Launcher from K2 right?

Salomon has the AK Rocket

And the AK Launcher was a twin tip 2 seasons ago. Before it went back to the more reserved look. I think they took the twin off because if you wanted a Fat Twin you could go for the Seth Pistol.

And I'm not going to get into the agressive person and Soft Vs Stiff flex thing ;\)

Your right about the skis though they are the lawanchairs.

Never said you werent aggressive. For me and my style I want a ski that doesnt bend all over the place, plus in the park I like a bit of pop to the ski. I was making the remark that there are so many choices you can find the right match so easily.

The Ak maidens look sic but why they put most of the graphics under the binders I dont understand.

The Launchers are twin tips but ever so slightly, thats probably why the Pistol came out just after.

I really dont know much about skiing compared with more experienced people like yourselves. Seems to me that soft vs. hard skis would be something like a softer ski would be for a beginner and a hard ski for more advanced skiers. Look at golf, softer clubs, less distance and more control, harder, less control more distance.

Could just depend on the riders style. I enjoy reading your posts cuz I learn more. Cheers.

Yuki you have the Dark Red Launchers right with a skull on it? They don't have a huge twin tip but it's most certainly a twin. I was skiing with a guy all season on them at W/B and he had a cool sticker that said ''**** you I'm from Squamish'' People who have been to BC might understand that.

I know Fattwins ;\) I just remember having a discussion with Danz about this a while back. He is diehard Volkl fan which has a stiff flex while I like a softer flex for powder.

But then again I do remember Shimba thinking that her fischers have a stiff flex. Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm just such an aggressive skier that I am flexing a race stiff ski or maybe I just like a soft powder ski cause I to am a softy (That's for all the hot internet ladies which are reading this)or maybe I will just shut up about this caus eI have know idea what I just said.

The big stix are one of the softest skis out there. They dont win many comps but are one if not the most widely used fat skis in the world. Figure in Europe Fisher is the biggest ski co. period. They make a great touring set up not too heavy either. I dont think they are for me though. If we get a chance next year Toque maybe we can swap for a bit then I will give you my real thoughts. I did like the Gandalfs when I tried them last year great soft snow ski power though everything.

Ill have 3 fats next year the lbfs the deep powders and old rossi axioms. The deep powders although old freaking short or long turn anywhere you want them to, great skis. The Axioms I bought in case friends want them and cause they are 106 in the waist so turning on the hard packed should be a little easier than the deep powders.

Jared how tall is your wife? Those skis seem a bit big for her in my mind. More of a big mountain ride at that length for her?

They are a bit on the long side for her but I dont know if they make them any shorter - they didnt have them at the shop anyway.

She does pretty well on them though and we got them for a great price.

I know you guys got a steal of a deal They do make in 160 too. I think she skis on them fine just for an all round match piste off piste shorter might be better. Now as I say this I got my wife longer skis 167 phat luvs but they are not as fat as the stix.

PS I thought you would land that last jump.

hooray for weekends, i'm finally free after a week of being locked away at an education centre...

well, my big stix are 170cm long, but then my pow airs are 158... so i didn't want to go shorter for my powder ski, and i like them at those lengths - by the way, i'm 156cm tall and around 50kg (give or take)...

i don't find the length a problem cos once they are on my feet, they feel as nimble (if you can call it that) as my other skis (in powder). as for stiffness, i probably wouldn't know. when i first hopped on my pow airs, they were pretty stiff compared to my rossi cuts and i couldn't turn cos i was used to being lazy... but i got used to it and really like them now. maybe whatever ski i get, i could learn to love them and adapt my skiing style for them (with time though... always a bit gumby at first!) either way, what's my point? i don't know! \:D

Ive been way wrong as of late on my models. The big stix come 170 to 190.

I think I have warped this thread. I like chatting skis so shimba if they are what you like ignore me.

Toque got my stoke up with the fattwin pics so I couldnt help myself. Ive gear hoarded again this year buying 3 skis. phat luvs on order maybe the only 167s in all of japan and a pair of super fats 160 and 180 one 110 in the waist and the other 104.

My wife is getting pretty angry with all my hoarding kayaing and sking crap.

Shimba I doubt youll find a softer ski than the big stix though I think the length just doesnt let you flex the ski all the way on the groomed.

I like what line is doing this year the motherships have 2 types the lite and the stiffer type both about 15000 yen diff in price.

it's a good thing they are soft then, cos i'm not that heavy... i'm not too worried about them flexing on the groomed anyway since that is the least of my worries when i'm on hardpack... more the time it takes to get from one edge to the other... clunk... clunk... lol.gif

in the end, i'm not all that picky (not that i'm saying you are)... i just buy whatever ski that i think i like and is on sale for half price or less \:D and then love it regardless...

Your right about buying things on sale. I buy most of my stuff used in this country. Most of the time the stuff is in good shape. Yahoo Japan has tons of fat skis but the price is way too much. 7 man plus for fat skis way opver priced.

If im going to spend that much I want some good service to go along witht the package.

You are so right there Shimba. It takes for ever to get those things over on the groomed. But they do carve a good line on nice corderoy.

It's all I can do to keep standing however if I have to traverse a bump field. Usually just end up side slipping it.

I'm going to try and get a new pair this year as well and then my quiver will be complete for a while and I will be able to finally upgrade my boots.

I want the BD Havoc or Crossbow mounted with Fritshi FR

They would be nice as they weigh so little.

Havoc 120/88/113

BDHavoc_Flat.jpg

Crossbow 115/82/105

bd_crossbow_03_450.jpg

Wait a bit tomorrow I saved the site on my pc at home.

Those vector glides look pretty nice too. If you get the freerides youll more than likely go the way of my friends. They use them everyday cause they can traverse out 30% fast using 50% of the energy.

My AKs are the deep red but cant remember seeing a Skull on em... Nice ski though, very nice on deep pow days through the trees.

I like how Fattwins is buying up gear like its going outta fashion lol.gif Gonna start getting some stuff after a little bit o money is saved.

Upcoming purchases: some new skis 188s or bigger, beacon, and some softer boots too - all I need to do now is rob a bank: Sumitomo Mitsui here I come cool.gif

Yuki dont buy new or hit up the stores around the skijos they always sell last years crap cheap. I found the the big stix in hakuba for 2man. Yahoo auction is not bad when the season gets closer. If your not looking at twintips you can get better deals.

Fattwins is buying up the gear. Seems odd. Does he know something we don't?

Fattwins, what are you getting ready for? Are you prepairing for a future with no money or are all the ski stores going to close in the future and you are going to make huge cash selling us fat skis?

My wish list

180cm plus BlackDiamond fats with FR bindings

Scarpa Denalis or Lowa/Garmont equivalent

Fattwins, Not so worried if my 188s are twins or not - not like Im throwing a 540 rodeo of a cornice or anthing and landing fakie eek.gif

If they are, great, basically just want something much bigger than my 180s AK Launchers. I like how the tip of em is soft too. At least thats my perception but cant compare it with anything. I guess, if theyre big and cheap, Ill take em \:D