I am still contemplating a move to London in 1Q04. There are many considerations that influence my judgement, one is lifestyle.

It is possible to live in the semi-countryside and commute perhaps 1 hour to work (central Ldn I think) in a seated position on a reasonable train? I am thinking of a small modest old house with a small garden, nothing too grand.

I love England and seriously thought of moving there at one point but realised I'm just too Australian used to lots of sunny weather. I know other people who love it when it's dull overcast and cold all the time.... but I need my sunny days interspersed. Mind you, this last summer would have been a good one....

If you go you'll probably love it.

The weather is a put off for me too.

Excluding career considerations, benefits include:

- it is not Tokyo (sorry, probably didn't need to say that),

- it is within reasonably easy reach of Continental Europe and all the wonders that abound there

- I would like to live and work in as many countries as I can over the next 5 years, so it is almost time for another move,

- the job will require a few 3 month stints in each of NY, Singapore/Asia and Germany, using London as home base, up to 50% of the time will be spent in places other than the Ldn office.

- I would like to go trout fishing in the country side and particularly in Wales,

- I actually have a real interest in seeing some more of England, the birthplace of my English speaking anglosaxon culture.

- The English women I have met from the country regions have an interesting moral standard (only joking, this is not a benefit, but it appears to be true from the handful that I have met in the past).

Before I leave Japan I want to make a few quick visits to some other close by Asian countries (China, Vietnam, Sth Korea)

I have livied in England only in summer. I don't know the weather in winter. But you can visit Spain or France about 1hour by air! It's not so bad, I think.

And the houses and gardens are so beautiful there. People enjoy the life very much.

I heard living costs are very expensive now.

I wish I could live there again...

Pretty serious, although the job in Ldn does not yet exist, but is being strongly promoted within the appropriate political circle in the company. Given this, it is hard to be 100% serious. Also, even if the role is created, I may not accept the conditions of the job.

Having said this, if the position is created and I am called tonight with an offer that I like then I will be 100% focused on my move to Ldn. I have seen enough (not much at that) of Tokyo. It will be 2 years here by the time I leave for Ldn and outside of very appealing career prospects, there is no compelling reason for me to pursue another 2 years of existence in this city. A bit of a happy to come here, happy to leave scenario.

me mum's old place was 43 minutes from waterloo, definiely countyrside, and u'll get your seat (u can buy 1st class tickets on the train). very beautiful area.

the weather is the pits, but the pros more than make up for it. in my opinion london is the best city in the world, and its proximity to other great centres is a definite bonus. my (fleeting) appraisal of sydney was its major flaw was london envy. (don't take this as a sydeny insult, it was just a feeling i got)

summer in britain, although short, is indeed a time of great exhuberance and should be expeienced.

Sounds like if you go there you'll have ideal conditions to get away. Last time I was there it seems that all my friends, and even taxi drivers I spoke with all have a second house in the south of France which they frequently travel to for the good weather and cheaper prices and good food.

When the weather is good, like it was this summer and lots of this year I hear - it can be hard to beat.

I have friends in St Albans, a fairly pretty commuter town. Expensive.

Aim for somewhere to the north of London.

My sister lives in Bushey, Hertfordshire, and commutes to London sometimes by car, although there are trains too. Her house backs onto a huge common with semi-wild ponies on it, and there's a canal nearby which is good for long walks. Even when the weather was lousy, it was good to get out for a tramp across the common.

My father and my brother live in Lincoln. A couple of hours north of London i believe. My brother has been there for about 3 years and my father for around 5-6 years. When my brother first moved there he really did find the weather quite depressing and it took him a bit to get used to it. He was over here for a holiday and a wedding and went back yesterday. he really didn't want to head back there. He's had enough of it now and is ready to move back to Australia but has to wait until he has finished school in a years time.

My sister and her family used to live in Fleet (i think thats what it is called). I went there to visit her about 4 years ago. Quite a nice area. But getting into London on the train is pretty damn expensive i found.

Yes, I am expecting it to be expensive, but then so are most key global cities. Compensation is factored to cost of living relative to ones home country so.....

I like the idea of having a common nearby. I might get some tweed and gumboots.

WARNING

Don't wear the tweed jacket and gumboots when you go trout fishing in Wales or you'll be lynched. ;\)

The Wye Valley is really good, though stock in the Wye River have been falling over the last couple of years.

London is stupidly expensive city, the surrounding counties Surrey, Oxfordshire, Hertfordshire,Kent, Sussex (East and West) are all expensive as well. You could try Essex, where the ladies have lax morals even by British standards.......

My old man is Welsh. He was born in some town called Bets y coed (I really have no idea how it is spelt.... along with many other words).

It is good to know that it is possible to live out of the city and commute each day.

As for Essex, all I know about it is that it is near the coast. I have also heard about the women, but god knows where I heard it.

Good timing, just read your message.

Hmmm.

Well, there's some nice places just to the north of the M25 circular that are a 30-50 minute train ride into the City.... St Albans, Hemel Hempstead, etc.... nice towns just full of commuters, near countryside, quite convenient ;\) And pricey too, but then again cheaper than anything equivelant in central areas.

Add 20000 pounds onto the price of a house every 100 meters further you get away from the station!!

• 5 months later...

Regarding more central living locations, I am hearing quite often that noorth of the river and to the west is the best bet? Is this so? The reason I ask is that I hear these words from friends and co-workers that have standards of living that would make parts of the Royal Family feel working class. Ergo, what they say is grubby is probbaly not so bad in mine own grubby eyes.

I reccomend looking at around the Reading region, it is within easy reach of London 40mins or so but with the stunning countryside nearby, with the likes of Henley, Oxford, Sonning, e.t.c Especially good for fishing around Nettlebed. Can be pricey but like anything if you look around you`ll get a deal. DEFINATELY DON`T LIVE IN SLOUGH!!

Also if living in England you get the benefit of not only being so close to the resorts of Europe but now possible to fly over there via budget travel companues such as Easy Jet and Ryan Air. I used to fly all the time for a pitance!! Under 50 pounds return. Got to be worth thinking about!!