Most frightening experience

What is the most frightening experience you've ever had?

Mine was when I nearly got killed in a traffic accident - I got knocked over by a speeding car and was lucky to just get away with some bad bruises. I could have easily been killed.

My pitiful excuse for a harness broke when I was abseiling down a cliff. After a short fall I managed to the grab the rope and hang on. I was sure I was dead, and I wasn't happy that it was going to be on rocks which I don't like anyway.

Standing in my apartment in Osaka at 6 am holding onto the wall and hearing awful cracking sounds under my feet and waiting for it all to come down was not pleasant, but nothing compared to falling down a cliff.

Oh, and then there were the voices in my head once. That was pretty bad.

I had two not pleasent ones in Thailand in the same week. Despite that it was bloody great trip though! The frist was getting electrocuted on a beach by a dodgey wire that was poking through the sand. One of the weirdest sensations i have ever expereinced. It felt like i got wacked in the spine with a sledge hammer or something. Totally odd.

Then a couple of days later i crashed a motorbike with sfg on the back. I was ok but she had a severaly burnt calf from the exhaust pipe. I was stressing and had to get back on the back to try and find somewhere to get some bandages and sh!t. that wasn't fun at all. Especially for sfg,

But the most frightened i've been was out at a local point break - Fairy Bower. It was a massive day and i was bobbing around waiting for a wave when i see a massive, huge bloody set come in. So i start paddling sideways to get away from it so i don't get caught by it. But i wasn't quick enough. It broke about 2 metres in front of me. Everything went into slow-mo and i knew i was about to get pounded and pulled along a bunch of sharp hard rocks. I was in a lot of pain after that wave and i was scared sh!tless when i realised i wasn't going to make it over the wave.

here's my 1 yens worth

My earliest memory of fear was when my old man almost rolled our speedboat.

seeing someone bleed to death in Bali when I was 13. (head cracked open from bike crash)

Malaria & dengue fever in consecutive years

SF - try a 12ft pitching padand padang beast breaking right on ya head, followed by a long "cheese grate" across the live coral reef ( then mangy pussy infections!)

last years last kicker @ Ontake, hit it way too fast and landed backwards on my head.

Mine is a strange one.

I was at the officer training school in the Army and it was my turn to be on duty overnight. No big deal. All that is involved is checking everything is locked and doing a couple of rounds of the compound during the night. It is also the responsibility of the duty officer to raise the flag in the morning. Anyone involved with the military will understand that the flag is not to be messed with and flag raising/lowering is an important event each day.

Anyway, it was raining, about 5 degrees and as windy as hell and from memory 6am. I was fully dressed in my duty officer uniform, which is very formal and very polished - complete with sword and hanging at my side. It is the military equivalent of a business suit with lost of leather belts and shiny bottons.

The flags are rolled in a special way and you put the bundle onto the rope, raise it and break the bundle open by tugging on the rope, with lots of saluting and formality. Before you break the flag at the top of the pole you have to blow a whistle so that all those in the area know to stop, face the flag and salute as it is being broken.

I blew my whistle, broke the flag, turned, marched 10 paces, turned again to face the flag, looked up to salute and holy crap the national flag was upside down. eek.gif

This might not seem like much but in that position it is enough to make every nerve in your body shake.

I quickly got to the flag pole and start lowering it but I was so scared that my hands where shaking. At this point the rope is only attached at the top pully. A golden rule is never let go of the rope at the bottom. It was very cold and really windy my numb and shaking fingers lost the rope. The wind got the flag and blew the rope out of reach. I was pale as you can get with the rope and flag in the wind at about 45 degrees to the flag pole. I was shaking quite a bit at this stage.

It was impossible to get the rope as it was blowing so far out from the pole. All I could do was climb the flag pole. So in my very formal uniform I started climbing this huge pole.... all the way to the yard arm before I could grab the rope. I have no idea how I climbed a totally smooth and wet metal pole so high.

Hugging the top of a flag pole in a military base is pretty much the most stupid situation anyone could get themselves into.

I eventually got back down had to run and find my hat which blew off at the top of the pole (you cant salue the flag without a hat, and it is also a military offence to be outside in uniform without your hat on). In the end I got the flag up correctly then prompty marched to my CO's office to tell him what had happened. I was scared and my uniform was a disgrace

As punishment I spent the remainder of the day on a 40km forced march in full battle dress (ie, lots and lots of heavy stuff like ammo and rifle and water bottles plus 4 bricks in my backpack). Instead of hard marching, I jogged the entire 40km's and set a new regiment speed record, such was my desire to run away from the flag pole experience.

For some time after that I had difficulty with being around flag poles.

db, you and I need to sit down with a large quantity of beer sometime, and I'll tell you about my experiences with military courts. With a bit of effort, I can make it sound funny. The military takes liberties with young people...

I was rafting and we stopped at a pool to rest and have a swim. Some of us decided to jump off rocks, which turned into jumping off cliffs. Being so tough ;\) I climbed the high one, knowing I had to jump out far enough to get over the rocks at the bottom. Jumped...

and realised I hadnt jumped out far enough and truly believed that I was about to die.

funnily enough all I felt was pure utter peace like I have never felt before then or since.

and then I hit the water and made my mouth bleed \:\( . It shook me up for a while after that but Im not really scared of dying anymore

When I was a kid, one of my good buddies was always into knives, hunting, and outdoorsey stuff. His parents were neglectful and basically bought him stuff to make up for it. So in all their wisdom, they bought their 10 year old son, a compound hunting bow (one of those really nasty pulley driven bows). Anyway... we were two stupid 10 year olds messing around with the bow in his backyard shooting a cardboard box with a drawing of our teacher on it. After a few turns of shooting, I went and grabbed the arrows from the box. While I was still standing in front of the box, my friend loaded an arrow, cocked back the bow, and then held it by pinching the arrow and bow in one hand. Needles to say it made me nervous, so I told him "hey dude put down the arrow, you're gonna lose it." Just as he said "no, it's allri..." He lost grip, and the arrow flew straight at my face. It all happened in slow-motion, but I ducked off to the side, and the arrow skimmed past the top of my ear, and sunk into the cardboard behind me. We both stood in silence for a solid minute or two realizing what had almost happened. Neither of us ever messed with the bow again...

Still to this day, I cringe when I remember that moment when the arrow was flying at my face in slow motion. eek.gif

dancing - listen to your body dude. My cousin just had a massive heart attack and is lucky to be alive but will have permanent brain damage because he was out for so long. He had these "panic" attacks before. Thats what he called them. Turns out they were small attacks. He didn't get it checked out and now look what has happened.

Do yourself and your loved ones a favour and go and get yourself checked out. Those small episodes can grow into massive problems.