The most boring job imaginable

For the last 4 weeks, on the way to work I go past some road construction. On a small road coming off the main road, there's one of those guys with a red flashing stick. He's there - it seems - to stop large trucks from going down the small road (although I've never seen him have to do this, coz they wouldn't want to anyway).

Anyway, in the last month I have seen him stand there all day every day and basically do nothing apart from look bored and a bit embarrassed.

It must be a disheartening task.

Any other entries?

That must be mind-numbing.

How about being a shop assistant in one of those dark, desolate and dirty looking shops that you get in run-down town centers - you know the ones that that sell ceramics and pots and pans, the shops that no-one ever goes into anymore.

Now that must be depressing.

my favorite is when there is a mechanical cardboard guard swinging his light-batton...and standing right next to him is a living version doing the same thing...

cant help but chuckle at that one...

danz

Not quite as insultingly redundant, but you have the same thing with blokes who stand under working traffic lights. They always try really hard not to look at the light openly so as to preserve the pretense of their own autonomy.

I always thought being a dentist must be a pretty lousy job, apart from the pay.

I used to be a stop/ go paddleman back in the day for a summer vacation job. Gets boring but you geta cracking tan. One day while there was a long delay, a group of young English tourist hotties got out of their car and came over for a closer look as they thought I was some kind of novelty, they draped themselves over me like I was Hugh Heffner to get a funny photo (I wasnt complaining \:D )

I saw some stuff back then naked people in cars ( hot summers day) got a "pressed ham" once. On major roads it was interesting, but once I did it on a country road with 10 cars an hour..... that was firking boring.....

I've done loads. Sweeping up dough off the floor of a gigantic bakery...I fell asleep ON the broomstick.

Packing ice cream cartons in boxes. That was the worst. A 12 hour shift with 3 half hour breaks. I lasted 1 week and some of the drones had been there for YEARS.

nah karnidge, b/f i came to j-land that was one of my vocations. and while their wasn`t much future in it (that be diggin holes and fillin `em), it was way better than tha previously mentioned employment.

Idle layabout or sniveling thief...either way you cut it, I love my work. If I had to imagine a horrible, boring job, it would be something like "Mayor of Whoville", or "Santa Claus".

How I hate that municipal pride and seasonal good cheer!

029.gif