I just noticed the mention of overpriced ji-biiru in another thread and was wondering. Is it always overpriced? And why? Surely they'd sell more of the stuff if it were a bit cheaper.

Anyone recommend a good one? The ones I've had have all tasted pretty much the same.

Ginga Kogen blue can for a very nice hefeweizen (my missus says it smells of rotten sausages which shows how much she knows), and white can for a pretty good pils.

Not overpriced either, possibly because it's brewed by a real German who can be expected to know that part of the joy of beer is drinking it in quantities.

Ocean,

Weve talked bout Ginga Kogen before - thats a great beer. Have they reopened. Or did they never close down their factories? Could still be were drinking the stock theyve had for a while.

I was up in Aomori and went to some Jibiru place up there before Nebuta matsuri - damn that was good. Espeically, all the Jizake up in Tohoku is by far the best around. Nagano has some good jizake too

Yeah I remember that discussion and checked it out (sort of).

Although for some reason it disappeared from several Nagano retailers at the same time, others continued with it, and the most knowledgeable shop owner I knew (and a qualified sommelier to boot) said they were always in business.

Also if you have a look at their website, their product lineup is expanding and they have what looks like the most extensive distribution of any jibiru maker. There are actually bars and restaurants that serve it far outside the area where it's made.

Their braumeister is German, although he succeeds in looking quite Japanese too (and a bit like danz). He's obviously a man of many capabilities.

wm_pic.jpg

This thread is making me thirsty.