I just heard "It's My Life" on the radio, by No Doubt. I used to love the original version by Talk Talk, and No Doubt haven't actually done much to the song - just made it sound more like No Doubt. I wonder why? It just seems like a complete waste of time. I think it might be just because it used to be a really special song for me many years ago.

Any examples of GOOD cover versions and particularly BAD ones.

I like Talk Talk as well. Ascension Day is great odd little song.

I've always preferred Roxy Music's cover of 'Jealous Guy' to the original by John Lennon. Van Morrison's cover of 'Ain't No Sunshine' also beats the original.

I thought Van Morrisons singing on Dancing in the Moonlight wasnt as good as the dude who covered it a few years back. But the guitar in the original is amazing.

The greatest ever cover version of all time is:

Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen (covered/performed by Jeff Buckley)

Another TalkTalk fan here. Or I used to be anyway, I think I'll get the CDs out tonight to have a listen.

Did anyone ever get the solo Mark Hollis CD? (He's the main guy out of Talk Talk). I hear it was even more experimentation than late TT, would like to give it a listen. Anyone heard that?

XXX,

Donnie Darko is a great movie - I even enjoyed the cover of Mad World. Try checking out the extended version of that movie - adds a few new twist to the "plot"

Dave Matthews Band version of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" does it for me everytime clap.gif ...what a jammin song that is. I like their version of "The Maker" too.

I've been trying to find out more about the Talk Talk frontmans solo effort. Found this review amongst others...

-----

This is a record so quiet and delicate in poise that you cannot simply let it wash over you. It begins and ends with extended silence. Mark Hollis, the eponymous solo debut for the former Talk Talk leader is an exacting collection and to find your way you really have to tune in. Fans of Talk Talk will immediately recognise the alluring ambiguity of Hollis's music, yet here that free quality is closed in on and compacted. Hollis's arrangements are cut with more precision than ever before, and recording acoustically with only two microphones creates intense intimacy. Hooking into melody is of no large importance and what groove there is on the album often becomes just another texture. The sound of the album is very much the album, and it builds its own pattern and harmony; typical of Hollis's unique approach. However, for all his concern with tone and cautious assembling, Hollis's songs occupy a rare emotional space. His reedy, aching voice remains a focus, despite wandering in and out of earshot among the soft flow of the instruments - including brass and woodwind sections with piano, acoustic guitar, bass and drums - that float around classical, jazz and folk feels. Pinning down Mark Hollis is no easy task, but it doesn't exist to trick anyone. It's the sound of one of our most searching artists.

-----

It begins and ends with extended silence!? lol.gif Intruiging indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

What's this about an extended version of Donnie Darko?? Is that just the standard DVD that came out a couple years back? (I missed it in the theater so I only know the DVD version) Or is there a new edition that just came out?

BTW, that song is great.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the No Doubt vid on tv last night - good cover version that. Her voice usually gets to me, but this one was pretty decent.