Teaching the kids to slurp

I was at work today and a colleague brought his son into work. The son is about 12 I reckon. Anyway, we were all sat around at lunch, and had a coffee afterwards. The boy was drinking his coffee quite quietly, and suddenly his dad actually shouted at him. The reason? He wasn't giving a healthy slurping sound on drinking his coffee. You know, like a big suction sound that you can hear 20 meters away. Seems the father was telling his son that he should be doing these big hearty slurps every mouthful. And a big "aahhhhhhh" once swallowed of course.

I found that real interesting. Is it frowned on to not slurp, or is this boys dad just a complete burk.

Interesting-my dog doesn't even slurp when she eats. With ramen I can see the point, but making a whole lot of piggy noises when you eat is bad manners and irritating. I'm glad my parents hammered simple things into me like not chewing with your mouth open and having good table manners when necessary.

Totally unnecessary and antisocial.

Teeth sucking combined with a post-prandial fag brings me right to the brink of committing murder.

I had an English friend here who lived alone and either had or developed piggy eating noises. I stopped going for eats with him in the end.

Whats the deal though? Why do they do it? It is obviously something they just do out of habit and they don't think about it, but I just find it totally over the top and excessive most of the time. It really puts me off people.

Fair enough with ramen as it appears to be “the way it is done”. It is kind of fun and a silly part of eating a hot bowl of noodles. But the noises that go with so many other things consumable make me sick. The "gulp, gulp, gulp, ahhhhhhh' of drinking a beer is @*$# annoying.

Fukdane, mate I think alot of people you work with or know are completely burk.

But you know that you are supposed to drink beer they noisy way they do on beer CM's!

coffee is a new one to me..

Quote:
Originally posted by DumbStick:
Indosnm - so many of the Japanese folk you know eat and drink quietly?

Not the Japan I know, mate.
Well MATE i don't know what Japan you know.
but to answer your question YES.
Beside slurping when eating noodles or miso soup ( i even do that) But...
Drinking though all the people in my family and friends drink normally as we would back home ( 98% of my mates are Japanese)

Well forgive me for saying it as I know it, MATE. (Why the caps? wakaranai.gif )

In my Japan world, the vast majority of Japanese eat and drink more noisily than a group of 10 hungry pigs fighting over food.

It seems that many other people experience the same as me here too:

http://www.skijapanguide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001186#000000

I find people eat quietly, but just a very few middle-aged and old codgers seem to make enough noise for 10 people, whether it's slurping coffee, arghing after beer, or vacuuming their teeth.

Another thing that I hate is people putting their hand over their mouth to use a toothpick. The sight in itself isn't disgusting, but it just draws attention to a trivial act.

My comments were not on food but drink.

I would agree with what O11 has said but I don't have much contact with the elderly ( except for my "out laws" who drink quietly)so maybe thats why I am missing all the noise?