Seems as though theres a few people on here collecting DVDs. Are you into the commentaries that are on them or not? I find some of them a real bore, but some are really good.

Ridley Scott does good ones (Alien / Gladiator).

Simpsons & Futurama - great stuff. Sometimes as good as the episodes themselves.

Tim Burton seems to murmur his way through.

I think it depends on how much you like a movie. I've only watched with commentary for movies I really like. The extra dvd commentary is usually a nice extra, but most of the time its kinda pointless.

..although there are a few cases where the commentary can change a movie. A friend of mine bought the Conan dvd set, and the commentary is done by Arnold and the director. Arnold keeps the energy level at an 11 the whole time, and it is pure comedy to hear him talking about his work.

I especially like the commentary on Kevin Smith movies. The only commentary I heard for years was a VHS tape a friend had made for me from the Clerks LD back before DVD. The ideas to me was revolutionary and I learned a lot about Smith and the movie making process.

Ocean - not sure if you saw a different version or translated title, but the official name of that movie is "Hearts of Darkness" (A Filmmaker's Apocalypse). Certainly an interesting movie.

ender, you're right. I seem to remember the Japanese title was a bold katakana 'Daaku Haato'.

Last time I went back to England, I was asking my folks if they had seen the film 'Little Dancer', and after explaining the plot they all had a good :rolleyes: and said "Oh you mean 'Billy Elliot'. You've been there too long."

Leonard Maltin's interview with Luke Lucas in the Star Wars trilogy video box set is cheesy enough to turn me into one vast galactic goose pimple.

Yep, commentaries can be really good. I hate the puffy docus that are on some dvd where everyone just does their arse licking job, but they can be great. That new Alien boxset does look awesome- the Cameron commentary should be good (a first for him?)

Show me it all! First show me the light entertainment, then show me somebody talking about it, and then show me every bit of footage that was deemed redundant! I don't want to miss a a thing! Yes, I've got money, I'll pay for that! lol.gif

No hard feelings, I just think it's nuts, that's all.

The commentaries on some DVDs are an excellent insight into the process of film-making, and a great addition to a favorite movie.

They're like feature-length documentaries.

------

This Ocean11 character seems to be the only "victim" here - of his own ego (referring in this case to the comments on this and the other Alien thread).