Sometimes I like to try reading BBC or CNN webpages, but its difficult. Today I read about Mik Jagger become "Sir" Mik Jagger.

I don't understand what reason somebody become "Sir". Is there some rule or something about it?

What I find funny is that when all hell breaks loose and we go into a massive world war, these guys will be called upon to defend Her Queen the Majesty. Sir Mick will lick and slobber the infidels to death while Sir Paul will throw tofu and heads of organic cabage at them to renew world order in the name of the British Empire (the US will have blown itself up by this point). Keith Richards will be so inflamed by the heroics of Sir Mick that he will join up with Osama in a cave in Tanzania (to get healthy on Osama's dialisis machine) and plot revenge against the evil savages. Australia will soon strike by playing AC/DC tunes day and night to drive Keith and Osama out of the cave and into an ambush. Keith Richards will somehow survive being shot 300 times with a howlitzer (the guy is just a SURVIVOR!) and move on to Panama to train his group of insurgents. After years and years of bloody battle, both sides become very worn down. Out of the ashes of the United States, however, a surprise combatant arises, ready to end the war of all wars part 2. Somehow preserved and unharmed by all of the bombing and nuclear outfall, Pamela Anderson rises from the dead and runs in slow motion down to Keith's hideout. Richards, the womanizer that he is, immediately falls for Anderson's ploy, thinking he has an easy bedding of the lady. Unbeknownst to Richards, however, Anderson has replaced the silicon in her right breast with poisoned jello. One bite by Keith, and it's all over. The US has triumphed again! Oh, and Pam made Keithy boy where white nikes before they hopped in the sack together.

That's the story of the Sir thing. Actually, I have no idea and am just really bored and waiting to hit the mountain tomorrow!

I was at a hockey game (field hockey) last night with my school kids who always just address me as Mark. But several players from the opposing team addressed me as "Sir" out of politeness and I felt a bit taken aback, so I think I know what you mean, .db..

No it would be DAME Cheesewoman. "Sirs" (or Knights of the British Empire (gufawwwww)) are chosen by the British Government. These "honours" also include: Memeber of the British Empire MBE, Order of the British Empire OBE and a variety of others such as CBE etc that are handed out every New Year.

In fact out of a whole load of people that are awarded honours, only a few are famous, most go to the public servants. They where started by King George in recognition of peoples efforts during and after the war. In this case I accept it as a noble and honourable offering.

BUT when the government use it as a means to a political end, or give it to sh'ts like Jagger (who spent a long time outside of the UK to avoid paying his taxes and is, in general, and twazzock) I fail to see how they've contributed to the sucess of the UK! SIR Mick Jagger?! I know what I'd do with mine, stick it right up Her Royal HINDness.

AAhhh Echineko,

everybody seems to be ignoring your understandable plea to be educated in the ways of the mighty British Empire. So here goes.

The Queen of the Empire (Elizibeth II) chooses men who have served and performed brilliantly in their field and to the glory of the Kingdom, then bestows upon them a `Knighthood`. Knights are the British version of a samuri I guess, and are vowed to protect the realm. Recieving a Knighthood requires a ceremony where you are expected to trust the Queen with your life as she waves a sword about around your neck. After this foolhardy experiment with Her Highness and a razor sharp blade of steel you are proclamed a Knight and everybody has to call you `Sir` in respect of your achievements. A fine upstanding tradition that no longer matters in the slightest and has lost all respect since it shot itself in the foot by including Alex `whisky nose` Furguson (I refuse to call the moaning son.O.A.B. `sir`) in its role of honour.

Clear now?

I gotta a feeling the ladies are given the title `dame`, could be wrong (probably don`t have to do the sword thing either).

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO,

you just don`t get it.

The Queen is all the power behind the dummy `Parliment` and Blair is her Bi**ch to take all the flack....jeeeez how many times and how many people do I have to explain this to......

you should see what she can do with that sword......man, they used to call Thatcher the iron lady but she was about as potent as an empty board bag without Lizzy about.

Man, my world is good.

In fact out of a whole load of people that are awarded honours, only a few are famous, most go to the public servants[/qoute]

How many people actually get this bestowed upon them? Are we talking hundreds a year...?

• 1 month later...