Ms r45 gives money to her parents at New Year. And we're not talking 1000 yen here. It's one of those J traditions that I don't seem to be able to fully "get" this otoshidama thing.

Anyone here take part in the otoshidama fun, and/or care to explain the "rules" simply ;\)

Ms. r45 gives otoshidama to her parents??? Perhaps you've got that mixed up wakaranai.gif

Usually, as I know it, otoshidama is a gift of money given to children. For example parents to kids, aunts and uncles to neices and nephews, etc. By the age of 18 or so otoshidama stops.

This year, I will give 5,000 to my niece, and 2,000 each to little cousins. You give it on or after January 1st in the special little otoshidama envelope.

I think it depends on the family.

My grandma still giving me otoshidama(maybe it isn't otoshidama because she gives me money everytime I visit her.) I'm a little bit ashamed of it but I can't refuse it. So, I've never given it to anybody yet. But in a few years, I have to do it to my nephew. I'm really looking forwad to it! 

And I never got otoshidama from my parents. It was always from grandparents, uncles and aunts.

So, I don't think I need to do otoshidama to my parents.