Do you mean "permanent residence" visa? If so, I would think your being married to a Japanese spouse should help out greatly.

In my case, have been living here 10 years, received it last year.

I have heard that regulations regarding it have been relaxed somewhat the last few years.

If you are ever in Tokyo, check out the consultation/advice-section in the immigration office, they were very friendly and helpful for me regarding the paperwork I needed to get, etc.

By the way, one strategy they highly recommended to me (which I did), was to apply for both types, permanent and regular 3-year, at the same time. If

the former does not come through, you should still get the latter ok.

Bad boy??

I have a permenant visa and have had for a long time (been here a long time!) - I had no problems getting it when I applied....at that time I'd been here about 12 years and my wife was (and still is!) Japanese.

Good luck.

IceTomato,

How'd you get a 5 year? I got a 3 year my last time. A friend of mine also has a 3 year. Is the new 3 year a 5 year now or after I've been here longer they up the visa a couple years??

Also, permenant resident people, do you still need to get re-entry permits?

they say that you can pretty much apply for the premanent visa any time. I am getting another 3 year one in March and after thats done I will start preparing the paperwork for my permo.

I want to get my hands on a japnese yen home loan for 1%!