I am a sumo nut, you wont hear much from me during a basho as I am usually on the sumo forum and playing fantasy sumo ( yes there are dozens of different games).

Most of the sumo fans on the forums arent in Japan and arent Japanese - Finns, Germans, Croatians, Dutch, Israelis, Americans, Brits, Swedes, Spaniards you name it, they are all there and love their sumo, it has areal cult following overseas.

Sumo is in a lull in Japan, Clowns like Takamisakari (Robocop) are in vogue, because there are no real local bred champions to idolize , there is only Asashouryu who is becoming increasingly unpopular with japanese people. But as far as I am concerned Asashouryu is awesome, he is fast becoming the most skilled sumo technician ever.

I enjoy watching snipits of sumo, but get rather bored of it quickly. I guess I just don't get it. I was holed up in a hotel room last sunday and watched about an hour of it. I think the Kirin I was sipping on helped me keep focus. I'd love to attend a tournament in person, but couldn't see myself actually following it.

Watching fat guys bash each other just isn't my idea of fun (tongue in cheek). Wait, that sounds like the same response I get when I try to convince someone not from the states that american football is a great sport \:\)

Sumo Kyokai appointed Takanohana to a member of judge and we can see him on the side of sumo ring from March. Maybe this action will do good to gain popularity again. I don't know.

I used to like watching Sumo when I could see Chiyono-fuji, Kotono-waka, Terao on TV. They are very handsome!