Quite a few Japanese guys have these "handbag"-like things they carry around, they make me laugh. Blokes - what do you think, joining in the J fun and got one or wouldn't be seen dead with one? lol.gif

I carry one of these with me everywhere. I don't have a car so ride a mtn bike everywhere and is more comfortable than a backpack. I jokingly call it a manbag but its more of a courier bag.

And if Ozzy Osborne can carry an Manbag I can carry a courier bag.

0699306.jpg

Very useful, esp when I first arrived in Tokyo and was wearing a suit (ie, pockets should not be crammed with stuff) and I needed to carry a keitai, little J/E dictionary, map book, subway map, ciggies, lighter, wallet, keys, kana study cards etc. I have no use for a bulky brief case and nor do I want to lug one on the train to and from work. The so called "man bag' was the only practical solution. I bought a Burberry one, for those that would like to mock.

I would only ever use one when wearing a suit. However I should add that we are in Japan, even more, we are in Tokyo. If you can't swing it here in the way you like to do it without ridicule then where can you?

Attitudes towards man bags are the same as those attitudes shown by skiers to snowboarders 10 years ago.

"It's a simple story. Brian, Peter, and Thai were tired of being ribbed for carrying their gadgets in hand bags. The torment reached a boiling point one night when Thai was called a "pursey" at a party. So they got together to design their own gadget bags which were well received and highly complimented on the social circuit. Other guys asked where they could get one and women expressed interest in buying one for their boyfriends and husbands. Thus MAN-n-BAG emerged, dedicated to making bags for men - and men only."

Doesn't that just ache with nerdy anxiety about social standing and gender identity. Oh no, where am I going to stow my gadgets?

It still doesn't get around the fact that, if you need to take the kitchen sink with you wherever you go, you're a woman.

All of which a man can manage without resorting to carrying a handbag. :p

Putting the label 'man-bag' on a handbag reminds me of the subterfuge of the monastic gentleman who christened his pig 'Fish' so that he wouldn't be eating meat on Fridays.

Everyone's heard of Where's Waldo, correct? Let's play a game of Where's 0cean11!

l73955.jpg

What were you doing outside the Men's Bag shop in Ginza anyway? \:\)

PS - I took this photo over the last Thanksgiving Day holiday when I was in Tokyo. Never seen a store dedicated to handbags for men. Only in......

Nice work there Plucky. Glad you stopped short of giving me the Argentine treatment there. \:\)

Toque, 'or' has a range of nuances - you just read it wrong. I'm aware of what Americans mean by 'fanny pack' - and it's not what women put in their handbags with periodic freqency.

This is getting a bit too serious though - really, who cares what you carry your stuff in?

That famous pic was not from any Falklands match, but was featured in the press and the InterWeb alot leading up to the World Cup 2002 match-up (usually with the caption, "What are we afraid of? They're a bunch of handbags!"). Sheer genius.

Theres a guy at work, hes a bodybuilder macho type. Real manly like. Apart from his bag, which is really girly. I'll have to take a pic of him proudly walking about with his womans bag, it's really funny.