Is Naoko a dude or woman? I have no clue who that is. Where is this top news at?? I haven't seen a thing on it. This is showing some ignorance here, but what other than the 'speed walking' event are the Japanese good at in the summer games? Basketball lol.gif No, really, I have no idea.

I dated a lass named Naoko, hence the first question.

Seeing as she won gold in the last olympics, its a pretty big story.

My girfriend saids shes really unpopular though: 'many japanese women dont likes her.'

I wonder if her unpopularity had anything to do with it...or maybe she was just old when she won gold and has gone downhill a lot in the last 4 years 'Linford Christie style.'

Bobby, don't know abot that one with her being unpopular. She is one of the darlings of Japanese sport. just because she wasn't selected the olympic selection committee has been bombed with complaints because they think that just because she won in 2000 that she will win again! look at Cathy Freeman!

*** and marathon runners life goes well into their 30's ...

she messed up and didnt race that girl raced a lucky race but that was Q-chans gamble to have a year to prepare for the oympics.

>>>>> so, they can't race that much then?? Surely she could have raced 4 months before the Olympics???

I think the Q chan name comes from a manga.

A couple of years back, Takahashi blew out the Japanese team for the World Championships so she could have a crack at the world record in Berlin, the only race she ran that year. She got the record by being the first woman to break 2:20 but it only lasted a week. That record has since been destroyed by Radcliffe in London.

Takahashi is also the first Japanese athelete to basically go pro. Arimori got pretty close before, but ending sticking to the association guidelines about doing adverts and promotional stuff. By doing so, she may have burnt her bridges with the selectors and thereby relinquished any special favour she could have expected as defending champion and ex-world record holder.

As has been said, it was all her choice and there are a lot more important things that should be on the news.

Is Arimori that one that got married to the gay (or not gay) bloke (an American guy)? There was some crazy fuss over that a few years back, can't quite remember the details now.