I make a killer Gypsy Tart, and it's so simple.

What you need is a tart base, 400g can of evaporated milk, 350g of muscavado sugar.

Mix the sugar and milk viforously for 5-10 minutes until it's like a creamy coffer-coloured mix.

Put in the pastry case and bake for 10 minutes.

The most scrummy, SWEET Gypsy Tart is your reward

clap.gif

Anyone got any other yummy simple recipies to share?

I have some easy cooking recipies.

Grilled pork with balsamico sauce (I learned this from Italian speaking ojisan in my office.)

Smoked salmon cream pasta

Quiche lorraine

Gyoza (my mom's recipe)

Cherry tart ...

Which recipe would you like to know? ;\)

rach, PM me the uncropped version wouldya? I need a bit more to go on to make an objective assessment. ;\)

What is the definition of 'Gypsy Tart' anyway? Is it something like 'confection of highly processed and unhealthy ingredients with nary a shred of vegetable matter'? My drink has lots of healthy lime juice and rum in it - only the coke is a bit dodgy from a dietary perspective.

rach, you chose Cherry tart!

It's a little bit fuss but everybody loves it. Give it a try!

Cherry (400g) - Cut half and remove seeds. It takes loooong time as you guessed...

Put tart base in the pastry case and bake for 10minutes (till it gets slight burnt color).

filling - mix 2eggs, sugar 40g, fresh cream 200ml, flour 5g, sherry for flavor

Put cherries and filling in the tart base and bake it for another 30minutes.

Enjoy! ;\)

Ocean, I won't pay your Chakubarai. Just send me case of wine! :p

slow, oh don't say 'Enjoy!' That really spoils it every time.

Even in Bali, waiters would step back and say that inevitable and fatuous 'Enjoy!', or even worse 'Enjoy your meal Sir.'

The cherry tart does sound good though. It has real fruit in it.

Is it a recipe if it doesn't involve cooking? Here are my three food-is-better-than-sex things:

- blue berry bagel sliced in half and toasted, a thick pile of mascarpone, some honey squeezed directly from natural honeycomb, slices of almond. Thanks goes to a certain cafe on Bronte Beach, Sydney.

- depending on your taste on the day, either cream cheese or mascarpone infused (ok silly word, lets just say mixed) with dark rum, brandy or something similar which you like... cognac for example, and brown sugar. This was introduced to me by Mozart's nemesis, Salieri.

- sliced apple and orange with a little bit of brandy and brown sugar poured on it. I first met this one in some tiny remote fishing village on a Greek Island (Crete) when I was a little kid. You know those ones where every building is made of white rounded smooth plaster/cement. I was stoked as my dad let me eat quite a bit of it and at that age (about 10) that is the same as getting drunk. He was feeling guilty for flipping the moped with me on the back and skinning my elbows. I remember he was playing dominos in the evening with an old Greek fisherman and the old guy's wife made this for us. I have been eating it ever since. Superb.

- hot black sticky rice with lime, coconut milk, palm sugar and mango slices. I don't know where I found this, I think it is Indonesian. Best breakfast in the known universe.

I missed my calling; I should have written one of those prolific and silly books about Tuscany and food.

Seriously, if you are into the joy of food and the story that can go with it then check this book out (this one) . It is so good just to read, even if you only cook one or two things out of it.

That sounds like caramel orange.

Simmer a suitable quantity of sugar in water until it caramelizes. Pour the liquid caramel over orange slices arranged in a glass bowl. Douse the whole thing in brandy and chill (the dessert, not you). Serve with cream poured over it (or that marsupial cheese dob mentioned)

Some of the caramel is dissolved by the brandy and some remains as a crunchy glaze on the orange slices.