I was taken to a ramen shop last night - supposed to be "famous" - and it was SO DIRTY. You could see back as well and the pans were black, it was just horrible.

Do they have health laws here? Sure that place would not pass.

eek.gif

(The ramen tasted good actually, I was just put off by the place)

I know a few of them and I'm surprised people dont get ill from the places. There are some truly disgusting places out there. I try to avoid them, as you do.

The Japanese govt have no laws for enviromental impact studies before building, no laws for dioxin levels, most buildings are built with asbestos flooring, bla bla bla, dont think ramen shops are a huge priority.

At least the ramen doesnt destroy the enviroment - and, who knows, the scenery here might look better if the country was lined with soba noodles instead of cement.

I got food poisoning from eating at a ramen shop once. I've had it twice in Japan and would have to concur with the view that food safety is fairly lax in this country.

Yeah well i love a bowl of ramen as much as the next nihon-jin but all this lining up for hours to get what is basically glorified maggi two-minute noodles is just bullshit. People see a line and think "wow there is a line in front of this place, it must be good" and join it in a lemming-like fashion. Just another example of that baffling group-think mentality. I actually asked a work-mate of mine what he did on the weekend, "I ate special ramen" was his happy reply. "That must have been a ****ing big bowl of ramen" was all I could think to say. Really living on the edge there mate! Someone please shoot me the day that eating noodles is the highlight of my weekend.

Also, a black pan that is fairly clean and hot is fine, imparts some special flavours, just like the typical aussie park BBQ. ;\)

A ramen place close to my office got closed down a couple of years ago because it was discovered that they were re-using the soup left over by diners to use on the next customers.

Apparently their cover was blown when someone who never put pepper in their soup kept finding it at the bottom of the bowl whenever he ate there. Who knows what else was in it... eeuuggghhh.

The same owners recently re-opened it though (presumably they were deemed to have been punished enough. Shudder). There's a queue a mile long out the front because the obasan is notoriously rude, and everyone wants to get a gander at the obnoxious evil ramen people.

What the...? confused.gif

The rudeness is all part of the specialness. In Japan, 'bad character' is often mistaken for 'character'. Hence the fact that 'ganko' - 'stubborn, rude git' often features in the name of restaurants.

There are ramen places where the ganko oyaji barks at you to shut up and savour the noodles if you so much as talk while you eat. This sort of oyaji would find me very ganko about paying the tab. But I wouldn't be in there anyway.

(Ramen in Singapore is 10 times better than any, any ramen you can find in Japan)

No. I'm not saying Japanese ramen isn't good. But the flavour of what I had in Singapore just had a completely extra dimension to it which made it so much more satisfying. That goes for the noodles and the soup separately. Also a couple of very large fresh shrimp is not a topping you get with Japanese ramen much.

Curry Lhaksa with roti bread is far superior to ramen. I wish I could get it here in Japan. I thought that food was the highlight of my brief visit to Singapore.

I love laksa!!!!!!

Those are both very good reasons to visit Singapore.

Like much of Japan, ramen is way overrated. And god people get annoyed when, after eating ramen in Japan, you tell them that Chinese food you just had was quite tasty. Denial ;\)

Ocean is a wise man. There are indeed many syunning women in Singapore and so to is the ramen there quite excellent. But then Singapore is actually one of the best spots for food in my humble (Malay, Indian, Chinese, Thai, Indo, Vietnamese, combos).

As for Laksa, best noodle dish on the planet. Simply an amazing thing to eat.

still one of the better negi miso ramen that I have had has been in Sydney. This has annoyed me quite a deal.

I once ate at the world shittiest ramen place. There was a cockroach on the counte. I pointed this out to my J pals and they mentioned it to the dude behind the counter 'cooking'. he simply reached over the counter and put the glass jar of red pepper on top of it. Continue with your meal, out of sight out of mind. It didnt worry my J company.

It worried me.

****ing disgusting.

Snowhaus thats disgusting.

Almost as bad as what some of the cooks at a local Indian in Bristol were putting in their curries. (Male bodily fluid apparently. For the laughts)

• 2 weeks later...