Agreed, some of use are after careers, not just 'jobs'. One of the drawbacks of this is that you are often forced to live in big cities. And even then, not all big cities have the jobs that many of us are good at (this tends to apply mostly to banking).

So leaving tokyo for another city is not that easy. Many choose positions that require us to be here, so we really shouldnt complain.

Screw that logic! Tokyo is a unique city no doubt. Very interesting and full of fantastic sub-sub cultures. All well and good but given this is a developed nation, the quality of life is repulsive. Houses are poor man crap, crowded, ugly mono-themed. People live in boxes measured by the number of tatami! That is not living, it is existing like a battery chicken crossed with a matrix-like concept. Tokyo is an ant farm. Millions of little black ants moving from cement hole to cement hole, all with a pre-defined purpose in life: some are salarimen, some are OL's. They are all washed out and grey. There is no human dignity and the repulsively crowded trains are testament to the fact that the populous is desensitized. They know no better. I have honestly seen a Japanese person with tears running down their cheeks when they see the green trees and the sparkling blue water of cities like Sydney. They were shocked to the point of physical emotional response. They also couldn't understand why the hell I would leave it for Tokyo. I heard the description "this city is alive, it is a living place. Tokyo is death". Comments were also made about how blind so many Japanese visitors are to what they 'see' in places like Sydney. Their heads are so rammed in the sand of superiority based in denial of fact that their opinions are not worth diddly. Which is why nothing ever changes and the ant farm just gets greyer and uglier and one step closer to completely inhaman and lifeless existence.

That is what I think anyway. When one evaluates the concept of 'life', Tokyo is repulsive.

Good mornin \:\)

Well put DB, couldn't have said it better myself. Having recently moved out of Tokyo (after way too many years), for the wide open plains of Niigata, I can tell you the sounds, smells and people are in no way even similar to Tokyo. Heck, even the water here tastes good......

Mind you, the country side does have it's drawbacks. These include very limited range of goods in supermarkets, commuting by road with country drivers (this is not a comparisson to Tokyo drivers - they're shocking as well.....). And living in such a direction that I'm unable to pick up sky tv, I'd have to say the television here in the sticks is of a sub-gender to that which I was used to in Toks.

Of course, the up side is that I can go to the mountain every day, and I do not have to drive for a number of hours to get there. Oh, did I mention the trees ? ? ? ? ? ?

;\)

I might actually be moving to Tokyo in autumn, nothing decided yet, but a chance of it happening. Still not sure whether to take up the chance or not...

Quote:
There may be tons of jobs, but what are they? Teaching English and such like? While that is fine, some of us do have careers and professions other than teaching English.
Do some research, you might surprise yourself.

No, I dont think I will suprise myself. [sarc]Perhaps there is an English speaking western company with a centralised Treasury department based in countryside Japan that is willing to compete in terms of employee compensation with a global bank based in Tokyo[/sarc]

Quote:
There are lots of IC circuit designers/manufactures and aerospace parts companies scattered throuought rural Japan
Shit, we're all covered then! To the hills! lol.gif ;\)

Rach,

I just saw youre from Kobe - I just got up here and would say Dont go to Tokyo. Kobe is nice! Maybe youve been here for a while and are tired of it. Understand that. But, Tokyo? Really? wakaranai.gif Not unless I was getting at least double my salary now.

I disagree.

Yes the countryside, the fresh air and the mountain etc are all very nice and civilised (for a while) but they can never beat the excitement, the groove, the fashion, the buildings (check out the new Coredo and the not so new Prada flagship store!), the restaurants and the cruise in the neon light in Tokyo etc.

I was watching a programme last night about Japanese people living a ‘fantastic’ life in Gold Coast, Australia for a mere JPY300,000 a month and thinking to myself, that’s nice for a holiday but I would be bored stiff and screaming to get out after 10 days!

I agree, in reverse. Tokyo is very interesting for a holiday or a short stay. I am glad that it is one of the worlds big ones that I know. I can always come back to visit and feel a little at home, which is great. But get me out of here after a few weeks. Life is too short to be wasted in this ant farm.

A nice Prada shop doesn't quite substitute one for sevre lackings in lifestyle or quality of life either ;\)

Deebee you need to get yourself a wheel and get out of the house/flat sometimes!

But seriously I am not sure why there is or should be a lacking in lifestyle or quality in Tokyo or where you are comparing it with?

Tokyo is good for experience for me. Very convenient, informative... I'm living here for 2years and I want to get out of Tokyo as soon as possible.

Siren, how do you enjoy Shibuya? I'm in Shibuya almost everyday but don't know how to enjoy.

Don’t take me wrong – I don’t go there every day but my mood usually improves when surrounded by energetic nubile girls (sorry if this is not a politically correct answer).

What are you doing in Shibuya everyday? I should look you up.

Originally posted by Siren:

Yes the countryside, the fresh air and the mountain etc are all very nice and civilised (for a while) but they can never beat the excitement, the groove, the fashion, the buildings (check out the new Coredo and the not so new Prada flagship store!), the restaurants and the cruise in the neon light in Tokyo etc.

the excitement - buildings. The groove, yeah some great clubs. I personally love Club Yellow. The fashon - same as anywhere in Japan as everybody has to have a F'in Louis Vuitton purse, wallet, shoes, 50,000 Prada blue jeans, restaurants - whatever, been there and nothing more special than any other city in the world. Neon lights - YES! And I always thought Pachinko wouldnt be enough...(sarc)

We all have our own desires - one of mine is to not to live in a dirty, non-personable, stinky, chaotic, concrete jungle. I may enjoy a few days there but thats about the extent of it.

Flying in you see a dark and ominous ring of smog surrounding the city and it only gets worse. If going to a Prada store makes you happy, well whatever floats your boat. Japanese and materialism gives me a F'in headache. Not to mention how many highschool girls sleep with older men just to get it :rolleyes: