OK here we go. As part of my job I had to visit about 6 different places today - all offering my endless coffee, tea and snacks. I wasn't prepared for this and I'd already had a few cups before I set out. I found it very difficult to refuse without sounding impolite. My Japanese isn't good enough to be able to do that well.

One thing I really hate is being almost forced to eat or drink - yeah yeah I know I'm not being forced and all that, but its quite difficult especially if these are important meetings and I am trying my best to be polite.

So - -------- can someone help me with the best Japanese I can use to politely refuse drinks. Or, is it best just to take a few sips and leave some over?

Thanks!

how about:

kekkou desu. kyou mo ippai nomimashita.

no thanks, I already drank loads today.

or

aaaaa nomitai kedo kyou koohi wo nomisugimashita.

Ah, I want to but I already drank too much today.

My japanese isnt great, but that is what I would say.

lol.gif

I tell people I don't drink coffee. (and it's true, I simply don't like it). then they'll want to give you green tea or ulon-cha. If you don't want it just ask for some water. They won't notice if you drink much of it or not.

Too right. It really bugs me when someone INSISTS to pour you a drink and they won't take no - so you take the tiniest sip of beer for them to fill the glass up again with 1ml of beer. Sheesh. wakaranai.gif Just seems really really naff.

They'll find a way of giving you something. There is an art to politely declining though. Before I knew how to do it well I was "told off" for being rude in the way I spoke. :p