Morinaga Hai-chuu

They are seriously addictive. I can't stop eating them - and a few at a time.

Faves are strawberry and grape.

Hi-chew ... they are sooo good. Anyone who hasnt tried them should go out to the local conbini and buy a pack straight away! They recently have brought LEMON Hi-chew on the market and had a PLUM Hi-chew in the winter as well. Perfectly soft and they actually taste pretty close to REAL fruit. Could this be a CM?

Kiwifruit ones come with their own fake kiwifruit seeds.

I did not discover these things until I came here and even then it was a good 12 months after I arrived. My brain tended to go directly into 'block it all out' mode when I when into a conbini. Those places are the anti-matter of the cuisine lovers world.

I agree on apple being the best.

I made a short movie where a variety of hai chuu flavours were the main characters. It was supposed to highlight the decay of Japanese traditional culture and held scenes of sakura, a Japanese tour group, neon Asahi signs, hai chuu, shinkansen and a traditional Japanese wedding which I happened upon in my wonderings and filmed a lot of it. The movie only goes for 30 seconds and one of the hai chuu mysteriously goes missing. I even created an original score for the movie.

I recommend that you seek out different flavours and combine them for special effect. Strawberry and yogurt has a special taste combo.

Too right db - but grape and strawberry don't go well together.

My fave mix is:

1 yogurt

2 apple

1 strawberry.

Try it.

(Yogurt goes with everything)

I will be taking a trip to the shops this afternon to stock up. Will experiment and report.

I used to pass the factory where I was told Haichuu are made once a week on my way to a private lesson. It's next to Tsukaguchi station on the Hankyu Kobe line opposite the big Mitsubishi factory. Look for the big Morinaga sign on the left side as go from Osaka to Kobe. It looks like a chemical plant.

Sometimes it had a sweet fruity smell but it also used to really honk at times.

Yogurt is definitely the one that can go with any other. I liked yogurt and grape and yogurt and apple best I think. Very nice. Feeling a bit bloated at the mo' \:\)

• 1 month later...