I'm taking a long flight in about 2 weeks time and want some books for the journey. I've not kept up with book news and whats good and whats not.

I want some fairly light reading, something interesting for a flight. Took a look at Amazon and theres just such a huge choice, I dont know where to start. Anyone recommend any easy-reading books or even authors? Thriller, mystery, courtroom drama - that kind of stuff sounds good.

Cheers

Get 'Village Incognito' by Tom Robbins. You won't be dissapointed. My favorite author ever. The guy is a genius.

It's a good plane read. Maybe 300 pgs. Check it out. If you like it, check out his other books. Good stuff - I swear! \:\)

shoot, should have edited...

anyway, the book I suggested above does deal with Japan and SE Asia. It's fiction, but so much better than the other top 10 NYTBS list.

Hope you have a good flight!

I always plan to get some in before I go. And always end up buying something at the airport and saying "next time I'll buy something in advance". I might actually get it done this time.

Try something by Bernard Lewis about Islam and the Middle East. Or something by David Halberstam about US sport (I hate baseball and basketball, but his books make them interesting).

'Number 9 Dream' by David Mitchell was a good one.

Set in Japan, written by a gaijin (ex english teacher down in the south of japan). I think it won or came runner up for some big book prize like the booker or whitbread a few years ago.