I'm going to be buying a digital camera for my dad and wondering which to get. No need for a super amazing latest deal, just something fairly decent at a decent cost. The MOST important thing is ease of use as he is completely new to computers and not keen on learning much either! So something that is a complete diddle to use.

Anyone care to recommend anything that fits those? Any help much appreciated. Theres just so many. Oh yes, I'll be buying in the UK too.

pentax optio xxxx

no software required if your using xp - just plug it in and it leads you through the rest.

I got it cos of the manual settings ability but never got around to learning it properly as the point and shoot was soo good.

I own a cybershot P5 (3.2) about 2 years old. after about a year the batteries become nothing, Sony is famous for that.

The Cannon IXY 500 or the powershot 80 look good. but maybe a tad exy for dad.

You'll be lucky top get any of the above osusume's for that price. Good ones start around 250 new. Like to be more help, but don't know much about the bottom end. If you can stretch to an ixy, you wont be going far wrong, though.

Thanks for the site there gg.

mitayak - well "good" is probably more than is needed here. Something that was "good" last year is just fine for the purpose I reckon.

I did a quick comparison of prices in the UK and Japan for my sis, and it appears that they are about 20 quid cheaper in Japan, except Sony.

Have you looked at Pentax Optio? It looks good value on paper.

• 1 year later...

I was reading this thread before and thought I'd bring it back to life!

I'm looking to buy a new digicam as my old one has conked out on me and wondering what to get. Has anyone bought one recently or got any recommendations \:\)