With Doom 3 and other goodies on the horizon, looking at video cards for the machine. Any tips on what might be the best one to go for in a new machine-beast?

You want a beast? How much are you looking to spend? Get at least 1GB RAM, and at least 128MB graphics, however I would recommend 256MB, bit more expensive though. If you want the best brand, maybe nvidia but you may want to check the latest online ratings. ;\)

the newest top of the line cards out by Nvidia and Ati have 265mb standard.

The current cream of the crop are the 6800 Ultra from Nvidia and THe X800XT from Ati. For these babys you're looking at around 70,000 yen. bit pricy me thinks \:\)

The next tier is the the 6800GT and the X800Pro. round about 60,000yen

And finally the 6800 and the X600 (I think) looking at 30,000ish.

Many websites are recommending the 6800GT as the best value for money card in this new generation of cards.

you could of course go for the previous generation of cards and look at the 9800Pro from Ati from between 20-30,000yen........but who wants old tech huh??? \:D

if ya wanna check prices and availability in Japan check out

http://www.gdm.or.jp/

or

http://www.kakaku.com/sku/pricemenu/videocard.htm

thats my lot

The Geforce 4 will be close to, if not, the bare minimum required for Doom 3. This means that unfortunately that all the cool eye candy that we love to see when playing (such as the dynamic shadows etc) will be absent and it ends up looking like any ol game you already have.

As for the laptop...you certainly have a lot of grunt....for a laptop. the mobile Radeon 9600 is in no way comparable to the desktop version so dont expect much. And while the 1G of ram is handy the centrino processor doesnt give a lot of grunt...

sorry guys and girls its not good news.

p.s. check Doom 3 out here

http://www.doom3.com/

Shoot for a pentium 4 3.4 lol.gif a little pricey.

2GB RAM

256MB graphics

now that would be a sweet setup

Anyone played Wolfenstein Enemy Territories online? I highly recommend downloading it, completely free! You are part of a team, pick your job (soldier, medic, engineer, special ops etc.) and move up rank as you gain experience doing your job, its pretty fast paced. Its really fun if you like war games, first person shooters, and working with and against other players online.

www.enemy-territory.com

there's alot of places to download it from, but if you do dl it, be sure to dl the patch too (there is only one patch i think) you wont regret it, awesome game.

Thanks for the bad news there maoriboy. Now I'm going to blast you with my plasma rifle - I always like to shoot the messenger if I can.

BTW, are you sure you can find the video card info quite that easily? I had to go into (translated from Japanese) Control Panel > Performance & Maintenance > System > Hardware > Device Manager

I think the info in the General tab really depends on what the maker decides to put in there, no?

crap sorry. to check up your video card info is a slightly different process.

go to the Start menu and click on RUN.

type in DXDIAG and hit return.

a box will load up that will show you your systems components. just click on the display tab and there you go.

alternatively just right click on your background and select PROPERTIES.

hit the tab that says SETTINGS and there you go. for a more detailed view on ya vid card click on the ADVANCED button on the same page

And while we are at it you should all be playing Call of Duty. It is super fun and the most cinematic shooter I have played so far. Good for MP too. I can't wait for Doom 3. Time for an upgrade too.