Indo, I will admit the live stuff 11pm to 3-4 am is pretty good, they have shown all the swimming races but if you miss that live broadcast its rarely seen again especially if there was no local in it, thats of any in any of the replays I have seen ( I channel surfed 7 am - 9am through the morning news today looking for a highlight to no avail).

tonights 10pm news took the cake.

Indo, I just saw a drooling item on Ai-chan, that ended with her coarse triumphalism with every point. It's a shame that in her 62 million hours of personal and intensive supervision, her monster of a mother didn't take an hour to explain some of the finer points of sportsmanship...

Not that the problem is limited to Ai-chan though.

My wife just told me that the screams of "yata" or "sa-" had my 1.3 yr old son screaming out the same.. Now she's gone to far!

Not picking her but as soon as she finishes the game she tilts her head and can't even manage a smile to the other competitor and judges. Maybe she has a neck problem?

Indo, maybe she's really like many other (pre)teenage 'sportstars'. I guess be thankful that we only have to watch her annoying personality on tv. Imagine living with a child like that - oh the temper tantrams....I WANT TO DO THIS !!! . Mind you, she is not alone, I have seen many other child prodigies (??) like that too.

While I'm here, when did the olympics actually become professional. I remember (it seems like many years ago) when one had to be an amature sportsperson to enter the olympics. Does anyone really care if Roger Federer wins a gold medel in tennis - the same goes for the us basketball 'team'. It seems most of the competitors now are professionals making big or decent money from just sport - a far cry from being amature.....

Oh well, time for another judo repeat lol.gif lol.gif

P.S. just noticed Roger Federer lost his game last night, but my point remains.

Quote:
Originally posted by stripper on coke:
Indo, maybe she's really like many other (pre)teenage 'sportstars'. I guess be thankful that we only have to watch her annoying personality on tv. Imagine living with a child like that - oh the temper tantrams....I WANT TO DO THIS !!! . Mind you, she is not alone, I have seen many other child prodigies (??) like that too.

While I'm here, when did the olympics actually become professional. I remember (it seems like many years ago) when one had to be an amature sportsperson to enter the olympics. Does anyone really care if Roger Federer wins a gold medel in tennis - the same goes for the us basketball 'team'. It seems most of the competitors now are professionals making big or decent money from just sport - a far cry from being amature.....

Oh well, time for another judo repeat lol.gif lol.gif

P.S. just noticed Roger Federer lost his game last night, but my point remains.
1992 was the first year for pros in Basketball. I'm not sure of the other sports, but it was definately after this.

Used to be only the Communist bloc athletes were "pros". It was their job.

They probably got paid in steroids and livestock growth hormones. I remember more than one female East German swimmer who looked more like an unshaven professional linebacker than a woman in a bathing suit.

I read an article a couple years back. A number of the former East German track and field, swimming, weightlifting and other athletes were claiming some kind of compensation or trying to make a lawsuit for the damage done to their bodies in service of the state. Infertility, cancer, birth defects, etc.

Terrible.

And now look--the athletes are now taking steriods voluntarily...so much for advancement.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Hey Plucky, how about you leave off quoting huge chunks of somebody else and appending an afterthought of your own to it? It's a rather annoying habit...
I was in a friggin hurry and the movers are here. Calm down, Francis. At least I answered a question seriously and without sarcasm or a snide remark. Something that you are uncapable of.

Thanks for letting me know what annoys you though. I'll remember that for the future. Oh, pull the stick out of your ass also.

Excuses excuses Prucky. Were the movers here on every previous occasion too? You just have problems with things that most other people seem to cope with, that's all.

I wonder if the phonelines in Alaska ever get so cold you just can't log onto the Net...?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Excuses excuses Prucky. Were the movers here on every previous occasion too? You just have problems with things that most other people seem to cope with, that's all.

I wonder if the phonelines in Alaska ever get so cold you just can't log onto the Net...?
Ease up and just let the topic be. No need for this petty stuff.

Guys can I make a suggestion?? I dont know what and why the two of you are constantly sniping and nitpicking at each other, and frankly I couldnt care less. Could you please stop doing it in threads that are otherwise civilised and relevant to the thread. If you want to do snipe at each other you could always start your own thread and go for, gloves off and all??

thats my two yens worth..

Hi, I'd be happy to.

Quote:
If you want to do snipe at each other you could always start your own thread and go for, gloves off and all??

I like the gloves off part. I've seen pics of O11. It would be fun.

But, to be civil, I did try to make peace. I've tried many times. Oh well, boys will be assholes.

Well yes, you are right there are 2 people that finish third. I was surised that they don't have a bronze medal fight, but if you have any experience in fighting that is the rankest fight that you could have to fight for, as you are pissed enough that you didn't make the final ( luckily I have always been able to make it in my fights past this rank round). But then I think heaps of sports ( archery for example) have to have a 3rd place round. strange that it's not all the same, as you really have a guy in judo who could have lost the bronze ( but got one) and a guy in archery who lost the bronze shoot off & didn't get one.. doesn't seem fair to the guy who missed out eh?

as for these repeats, Fark. How many other sports are there in the olympics? Now that swimming is almost finished we won't see anything that doesn't have a Japanese chance in it.

They just showed the mens 4 x 100m medley and they repeated it again 2 minutes after? WTF?

Suzuki really put on a show. So happy to see that guy win. He moved to that class because he didnt want to fight Inue his good friend and the fact he had troubles beating him. This Japan team could go down as one of the greatest of all times. (leaving out the times the world was just learning Judo)

Archery looks fun, especially since the competitors look like ordinary people.

I think they should have a bronze medal play-off between archery and judo. That would be interesting to watch. It would also take both sports back to their roots.

Win a gold in Judo and get a big bonus or a promotion form your employer

Anno -Gold medalist and cop got promoted from Sergeant to Dep Inspector. What a deal, Gold medal and promotion to boot

Not like she works. Spends her time training on the dept. team.

I can understand Japan having to win Judo. In Canada we have to win Ice Hockey. Its so ingrained into our society that will feel like shit if we lose.

I think some countries have to win Football (Brazil to name one) Have to win Rugby (Auz, New Zealand, S. Afirca) Some sports just become part of who we are.

Going back to the bonus - Nomura the mens gold medalist got a 50million yen bonus from his company - Miki House.

20mil from the company

30mil from the President.

Not too shabby \:\)